Why does a chicken make gagging movements with mouth?

Quote:
Do you know, the cockatiel I use for my picture here is named Boo-boo? hehe I'm Boo-boo's mom too!

My Boo-Boo (aka Peek-a-Boo) is a 2 y.o. Calico cat...she is a stinker...she bites...was cranky even as a kitten! First time my DH took her to the vet I told him to be sure to let them know she was a biter. The two 3 y.o. black cats (YoYo and YaYa) just barely tolerate her
gig.gif

Boo-Boo's Mama :

Quote:
Do you know, the cockatiel I use for my picture here is named Boo-boo? hehe I'm Boo-boo's mom too!

My Boo-Boo (aka Peek-a-Boo) is a 2 y.o. Calico cat...she is a stinker...she bites...was cranky even as a kitten! First time my DH took her to the vet I told him to be sure to let them know she was a biter. The two 3 y.o. black cats (YoYo and YaYa) just barely tolerate her
gig.gif

haha it must be the name cause my cockatiel crunches my finger from time to time! The little jerk will beg, beg, beg, beg for me to rub her neck then after a minute *crunch*. Not every day but enough to make me want to choke her.

I almost thought at the beginning of this thread, twitching meant chocking head back and forth and up and down like mine do. I always thought it was just their way of being interested in what they were listening to. Mainly me. Lol. Oh, and now I brush the teeth before going to see them. 'Spose that's the polite thing to do. Lol.

I almost thought at the beginning of this thread, twitching meant chocking head back and forth and up and down like mine do. I always thought it was just their way of being interested in what they were listening to. Mainly me. Lol. Oh, and now I brush the teeth before going to see them. 'Spose that's the polite thing to do. Lol.

I am going through the same thing but also their eyes are shut and when I open the eye thats closed clear stuff comes out idk what to do im so overwhelmed heartbroken and really want some help to cure my babies please anyone

Last edited:
So in Bartow at tractor supply the worker said its like a respiratory infection every time I even go clean the coop or feed them I have horrible headache and sinus problems so I got 3 antibiotics for them and you mix all 3 in their water they will be fine thank goodness

I'd be hesitant to trust a shop worker at a feed store unless they have a ton of poultry knowledge (or somehow they're a vet :)). I freaked a little bit with one of my roosters this summer when it was warm, but not hot. He kept panting and that was the only "symptom." Now that the weather is very cool and night and during the day, he doesn't pant at all.

Folks on here, rightfully said to relax...and to let him be if he had no other symptoms of illness.

If the bird has bright eyes, a good appetite, fine poops, and is acting normally, I wouldn't treat them for anything if all they do is yawn. When the birds have a respiratory infection (I've only had one bird with one that didn't make it - he was sick when I got him and eventually had to be put down,) it seems fairly obvious after a few days. The bird will have less energy, may make a popping/crackling noise when breathing, and may have other symptoms (diarrhea, discharge from eyes/nose, etc.)

I can be a little bit of a hypochondriac too when it comes to thinking my pets are ill....but I try not to jump to immediate conclusions now. Harm can be done if you give an animal medication when not necessary.

How are your birds doing now?

I'd be hesitant to trust a shop worker at a feed store unless they have a ton of poultry knowledge (or somehow they're a vet :)). I freaked a little bit with one of my roosters this summer when it was warm, but not hot. He kept panting and that was the only "symptom." Now that the weather is very cool and night and during the day, he doesn't pant at all.

Folks on here, rightfully said to relax...and to let him be if he had no other symptoms of illness.

If the bird has bright eyes, a good appetite, fine poops, and is acting normally, I wouldn't treat them for anything if all they do is yawn. When the birds have a respiratory infection (I've only had one bird with one that didn't make it - he was sick when I got him and eventually had to be put down,) it seems fairly obvious after a few days. The bird will have less energy, may make a popping/crackling noise when breathing, and may have other symptoms (diarrhea, discharge from eyes/nose, etc.)

I can be a little bit of a hypochondriac too when it comes to thinking my pets are ill....but I try not to jump to immediate conclusions now. Harm can be done if you give an animal medication when not necessary.

How are your birds doing now? 
so much better thanks for the information very helpful

Back
Top Bottom