Why does a chicken squat and lift wing shoulders when entering pen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sing2songs, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Sing2songs

Sing2songs Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Wisconsin, USA
    When I enter the pen and get close to a chicken, (which is always since they all rush to greet me to see what I have for treats) the closest one will squat and lift the wings a little. Although this is a great time to pick them up to love them and squeeze them, I was wondering if this is a sign of affection or a protection stance. Any thoughts out there?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's a reflex action to anything above or behind. It can be a rooster, a bully hen, you coming up quickly behind the hen, or a hawk in the sky coming down overhead.

It has nothing to do with fond feelings for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    This is generally recognized as the "submit" position. When a rooster approaches for mating and she is agreeable to it, she will "assume the position" for mating to occur. This is at an instinctual level that gets a bit confused with people. I just figure they think of me as the giant alpha male rooster of the group. It's not that they want to mate with you, it's more like a dog rolling over submissively.

1 person likes this.
  4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    After reading what azygous said above, I think it could be either his explanation or mine, depending on the situation.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by