Why does my Australorp take 7 hours to lay an egg!?

We dont exactly know how old but her feet look prehistoric. Her 7 hour nest box stays only started yesterday!

I wouldn't worry about 1 day of off behavior, but I'd definitely keep an eye on her for any other signs that she might be struggling to lay (older birds may have reproductive issues), or otherwise seems lethargic, uncomfortable, tired, etc.

I wouldn't worry about 1 day of off behavior, but I'd definitely keep an eye on her for any other signs that she might be struggling to lay (older birds may have reproductive issues), or otherwise seems lethargic, uncomfortable, tired, etc.
Ok, I will keep a look out, She isnt in there at the moment but i will update you when she is!

One of my black sex-links, Tilly, likes taking a snooze in the nesting boxes. She’s 38 weeks old and it’s winter where I live, she started this once it got cold. Still, not the same as your situation, but she could be sleeping in there. Do you ever see her with her head tucked under her wing?

One of my black sex-links, Tilly, likes taking a snooze in the nesting boxes. She’s 38 weeks old and it’s winter where I live, she started this once it got cold. Still, not the same as your situation, but she could be sleeping in there. Do you ever see her with her head tucked under her wing?
Hmm, i haven't seen that, Whenever I check on her she is doing the ''squashed pancake'' sit but she isn't broody.

Welcome to BYC.
What does this mean?
Can you post pictures of her?
Is she laying an egg or just hanging out in the nest box?
Is she eating and drinking and dust bathing?
This is a her, I went under her and touched her and she didn't ruzzle up her feathers or peck me so she isn't broody
IMG_0628.JPG

Back
Top Bottom