Why does my Buff Orpington have faded earlobes?

Eggsactly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
I just noticed one of my BO hens has faded earlobes. The skin is intact and she doesn't seem bothered/pained when I touch her earlobes. She is very active, laying and seems to be very healthy. The rest of the fleshy parts of her head are red. Should I be concerned or treating for something?

I'm sorry I don't directly have an answer for you, but I wanted to add that my BO has very much lighter comb and wattles than our bluebelle, and always has done.

She too is laying well and is otherwise very healthy. I was worried about the paleness for a while, thinking she might have parasites or something, but I'm pretty sure this is just how she is, and that it is normal for her.

Maybe BOs simply aren't known for heavy colouring on their lobes/wattles/combs.

Does anyone else know?

It's called "bleaching" and happens the longer a hen has been laying between molts. You might notice that the combs, wattles, and even legs get lighter with time. The color will "reset" after a molt.

Thanks so much Jenn. That's great to know. I just knew it was a change and that my other BOs were still nice and red. I am relieved my happy little chicken is alright! Whooh!

Back
Top Bottom