Why does my duck open and close her mouth like this - video included

jennytg3

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
portland
When my ducks sit on my lap, after about 5 minutes they all start opening and closing their mouths. Are they just hot, or is it something I should worry about?

I took a video of it - it's actually pretty funny as it looks like my duck is pinching my cat's head :

I will try that! Thanks. It's weird, as they have constant access to lots of water in their pen, and I usually only sit w/them for 20 minutes or so. I guess I'll just start keeping a bowl of water nearby when I hold them too.

Wow, I didn't realize my lap was so hot!
smile.png
It's weird since they seem to want to cuddle up right next to me and pant, rather than space out on the edges of my lap where it's cooler. That's why I wasn't thinking they were hot, as they weren't acting that way other than the panting.

We have 2 ducks. 1 opens and closes its mouth almost constantly. Even when it's in the pool which is in the shade. It's nice and cool out right now and it's doing it.

Yeah, it too warm, that is panting. You need to watch for that, you don't want ducks getting overheated. Offer water and remove them from where it's so warm.
wink.png

Can ducklings over eat? Where new to ducks and im not sure just how much a 3 week old should eat of there feed and the veggies we give them we start the day with Brocoli carrots cucumber and grapes about a teaspoon of each n 2 grapes cut in half.is this a good amount?

Last edited:
Can ducklings over eat? Where new to ducks and im not sure just how much a 3 week old should eat of there feed and the veggies we give them we start the day with Brocoli carrots cucumber and grapes about a teaspoon of each n 2 grapes cut in half.is this a good amount?
What about feed? they need feed for most nutrients/ duck or chicken feed then the other things are snacks. they maybe gorging because they are lacking essential nutrients.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom