Why does my duck twitch his head like this? (video)

How old is your duck? what do you feed and are you or have you supplemented with a form of niacin? Does you duck walk without difficulty?
Food: Our vet gave us a bird recovery feed for our duck so we were using that until yesterday night (after the twitching started) and switched to 17% layer pellets b/c we ran out.
Supplement: We give him 100 mg of niacin in vitamin B complex in his water.
Walking: He had botulism a week ago & is currently recovering (we took him to the vet & the vet gave him antibiotics). He's been steadily recovering since then and can stand/take a few steps now.

He's my first pet and I've had him for 3 weeks and it's so stressful trying to navigate :(

Food: Our vet gave us a bird recovery feed for our duck so we were using that until yesterday night (after the twitching started) and switched to 17% layer pellets b/c we ran out.
Supplement: We give him 100 mg of niacin in vitamin B complex in his water.
Walking: He had botulism a week ago & is currently recovering (we took him to the vet & the vet gave him antibiotics). He's been steadily recovering since then and can stand/take a few steps now.

He's my first pet and I've had him for 3 weeks and it's so stressful trying to navigate :(
How long was he on bird recovery feed before you switched to pellets? Is the pellets meant for ducks or chickens? Can you get other duck food that isnt layers?
You say you've had him for 3 weeks, is he on his own? Where did you get him?

If this duck is a drake and your only duck then layer isn't for him. Layer is formulated for laying birds. I use it and mix 6 way scratch into mine so my boys aren't having to get all layer. It's hard to find an all flock feed here that would be my first choice. Plus I feed NON GMO.
If he is recovering from Botulism this may have something to do with that. Maybe send this video to your vet and see what they think?

How long was he on bird recovery feed before you switched to pellets? Is the pellets meant for ducks or chickens? Can you get other duck food that isnt layers?
You say you've had him for 3 weeks, is he on his own? Where did you get him?
He was on the recovery feed for about a week. The pellets are meant for ducks but I didn't know he wasn't supposed to have layer feed- our duck's vet said it was fine :( We have anothee bag of grower pellets for ducks? Should I switch to that one?

Also, he is on his own now. We're planning to get him a friend but we're waiting until we have this all figured out and feel confident enough to have 2 ducks. We got him from a farm a few towns over.

I wasn't able to book an appointment w/ my vet until today. :(

Today he is a lot worse. He keeps drooling and regurgitating food that he ate yesterday and then trying to eat it again. I didn't even know ducks could do that. The food he regurgitates is all undigested.

I have work today but I'm going to try to get my little bro to take him to the vet 🥺

Back
Top Bottom