Why does my hen talk or cluck not necessarily both when she sees me ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oegbantamsftw, Jan 4, 2013.

1. oegbantamsftw

oegbantamsftw Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    I thinks its from joy like oh boy the feeding machine is here either that or I am part of the flock because the sound she makes is when other hens are with their chicks also whats is it called when they are not clucking which usually means danger and i see it as their form of talking because my roo talks trash all the time ever since we got hens and my hen is always silent when i get her and like oh please dont hurt me i have some issues to attend I think they dont like it because i move around their feathers and they are probably like i spent so much time fix this you know what stay away better yet im leaving now jumps off my lap on the freezing floor
    FREEZING FLOOR always better option than being warm and petted

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some chickens love their owners and will chat away to them happily. 2 Of my hens are like that. When they see me they come up to me and start yakking away. I wish I knew what they're saying!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I was surprised to learn just how vocal - and how many different vocalizations - chickens were. A couple of mine answer me when I "talk chicken" to them. I don't know what they are saying but I sometimes wonder what they think I am saying!!

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My one hen, Peeper, is always talkative to me--most of the time it's sass when I'm telling her not to do something. My other chickens talk a lot to me as well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by