Why does my pullet have her tail down?

I understand that you are in a pickle. She is too young to be egg bound and too young to have you go fishing for an egg stuck. So it seems you have a predicament. She could have to pass a large amount of stool that hasn’t taken up enough water to work in into her system to pass comfortably and that is why it is sitting there getting hard and uncomfortable. You indeed may have to go after it with some lube before too much longer but if you could try to be sure to get some oils into her system and some liquids for sure and increase her water content for sure that is especially important. She needs more fluids. Not anything really special at this point just water and as much of it as you can be sure she will drink for now and safely pass just the safe routine way. That is the most important thing right now and that you monitor her poop specimens very closely. You need to keep a log of their color, size,, consistency weight, and I would hold on to them all until you find out whether or not you don’t have to get her to a veterinarian to see her for a visit in the next few days. *Just one more thing which might be nothing helpful at all but less dominant birds are known to hold their tails pointed down this way. She is also a Welsummer right? And these from what I understand are lesser dominant birds so she would be demonstrating lesser dominance by pointing her tail down instead of up. Either way she looks very uncomfortable 😣 and like she needs to poop. No bird needs to walk around like that looks like it feels anyway. Good luck with her! I cannot type tonight at all. So sorry.
Here we are at 14.5 weeks old and still the same. She eats, poops, and acts like the rest of the girls. Like you said, most likely an inferiority complex. I was able to pick her up and inspect her vent and skin, feathers more thoroughly, and seems her tail feathers aren't fully out yet. No mites or lice. What do you think?

Mine were from McMurray. Only had issues with the one. Tail down, lethargic. Ate and drank fine. As she got older she got worse. Would be walking around the yard and an egg would fall out. Eventually her issues were too much for her and I put her down.

Would this, then, be a genetic problem for this breed? I'll have to keep an eye out when she starts laying. By mid winter if all goes well.

Here we are at 7.5 months old and she still has her tail down, and just in the last few weeks her comb is getting larger. Still some tail feathers sheathed and not open fully. Has anyone had a case of delayed development? No egg yet, and her pelvic bones are narrow at 1 finger (and I have small fingers). She is not at the bottom of the pecking order.

Update. In 6 weeks, she'll be a hen. Her tail has remained down, and she is laying beautiful eggs and is a normal chicken in all respects. Comb, wattle, and feathers are fully developed. I believe it to be a birth anomaly, which hasn't affected her negatively at all. Thanks all for your input.:celebrate

Update. In 6 weeks, she'll be a hen. Her tail has remained down, and she is laying beautiful eggs and is a normal chicken in all respects. Comb, wattle, and feathers are fully developed. I believe it to be a birth anomaly, which hasn't affected her negatively at all. Thanks all for your input.:celebrate
I just saw this thread and I’m so happy your hen is doing so well! You were paying attention which is so important! I’m in Kitsap too so :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom