why does my shell stick to my hard-boiled eggs?

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
every time I boil eggs, the shell sticks to them and I end up with ragged-looking hard-boiled eggs. not the prettiest for deviled eggs.

There must be some trick to boiling and shelling eggs properly. Here is what I do. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

I put eggs in a pan of cold water that covers them. I put on the lid, and bring the water to a boil. As soon as it begins boiling, I turn off the heat and let the eggs sit for 25 minutes. Then I put them in cool water and, once I can touch them without burning my fingers, I take off the shell.

Am I using eggs that are too fresh? Should I put something in the water, like vinegar or salt? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Because they are fresh. The ones at the stores are not. Try putting a pinhole (just a tiny hole) at each end of the egg before you boil them. I also add a teaspoon of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the older eggs. If you have to use the freash ones place them in ice water for a few just to cool them down and that will help allot too.

okay, thanks. my hens are two years old now, so I don't know if that is young in the chicken world. I'm guessing not.

I know I'll be making a bunch of deviled eggs for easter, so I will keep the eggs I have now, and use them in three weeks for those eggs.

thanks!

I wouldn't shut it off. I usually let them boil for like ten minutes. Then put under Ice-cold tap water (leave running) untill really cold. Then try pealing them. It might nt work, but it should. Also, sometimes rolling the egg to crack the shell will stop it from sticking.

the trick we use for fresh eggs to hardboil is a few tablespoons of vinager and 1/4 cup salt in the boiling water....then cold water till they are cool, then fridge for about an hour...they peel perfect!!

hope this helps!!

~Tiff~

I've done it that way, too, where I let them boil for longer and then take them off the heat. They still stick to the shell. The only difference is, sometimes the shell cracks. So that's why I do it the way my mom taught me, bring to a boil and then shut off the heat. That way you don't get any green around the yolk, and the shells don't crack.

I bet it has to do with the eggs being fresh. That makes the most sense, since I didn't have this problem with grocery store eggs.

Back
Top Bottom