1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why does my shell stick to my hard-boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tazzy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    every time I boil eggs, the shell sticks to them and I end up with ragged-looking hard-boiled eggs. not the prettiest for deviled eggs.

There must be some trick to boiling and shelling eggs properly. Here is what I do. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

I put eggs in a pan of cold water that covers them. I put on the lid, and bring the water to a boil. As soon as it begins boiling, I turn off the heat and let the eggs sit for 25 minutes. Then I put them in cool water and, once I can touch them without burning my fingers, I take off the shell.

Am I using eggs that are too fresh? Should I put something in the water, like vinegar or salt? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

2. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Because they are fresh. The ones at the stores are not. Try putting a pinhole (just a tiny hole) at each end of the egg before you boil them. I also add a teaspoon of salt.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  3. DALBERT

DALBERT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    I had this happen when my hens where young. After a few months they came out easier.

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Use the older eggs. If you have to use the freash ones place them in ice water for a few just to cool them down and that will help allot too.

5. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    okay, thanks. my hens are two years old now, so I don't know if that is young in the chicken world. I'm guessing not.

I know I'll be making a bunch of deviled eggs for easter, so I will keep the eggs I have now, and use them in three weeks for those eggs.

thanks!

6. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I wouldn't shut it off. I usually let them boil for like ten minutes. Then put under Ice-cold tap water (leave running) untill really cold. Then try pealing them. It might nt work, but it should. Also, sometimes rolling the egg to crack the shell will stop it from sticking.

7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    the trick we use for fresh eggs to hardboil is a few tablespoons of vinager and 1/4 cup salt in the boiling water....then cold water till they are cool, then fridge for about an hour...they peel perfect!!

hope this helps!!

~Tiff~

8. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Bring the water to a boil first. 5 minutes for softboil and 13- 14 for hardboil.

9. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
  10. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I've done it that way, too, where I let them boil for longer and then take them off the heat. They still stick to the shell. The only difference is, sometimes the shell cracks. So that's why I do it the way my mom taught me, bring to a boil and then shut off the heat. That way you don't get any green around the yolk, and the shells don't crack.

I bet it has to do with the eggs being fresh. That makes the most sense, since I didn't have this problem with grocery store eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by