Why does she do this ? *Pic*

Englishjodes

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Victoria, Australia
This is Snowy Snowdrop and she likes to leans forwards. She was doing it in this pic:

Is this normal ? or what does it mean ?
The thing is though; has her for 5ish years she has always done this far as I can remember, on her swing or perches and on top of the cage.
I do worry about her... she is more clumsy than the other budgies I have had, and she has on several occasions, flown into a window. When this happens shes looks a little dazed, but with no obvious visible injuries to her.
Other than that I believe she is normal behavior, I spoil her with fruit and veg, millet sprays clipped to the cage and moved around often, a mirror (but my tiel hogs that mostly) different toys like the swing (she hogs that!) bells, ropes etc. She has a real branch there too. She gets regular baths and is free to go in and out the cage all day, so I try not to let them get bored. Also she shares the cage with fellow budgie Coconut and 'tiel DeeDee:

Edited 'coz I forgot to spell check!

Last edited:
Is she rubbing against the cage and babbling? She could be trying to get your attention. Her way of saying, come over here and talk to me.

I don't like to allow my birds free flight unless I'm around to keep them out of trouble. Flying into a window could definitely cause head trauma, and repeated blows can cause seizures. Clipping the feathers can prevent this, but the bird may end up on the floor, and unable to get back to her cage.

No it looks likes shes rubbing her head there, but she was just leaning over until i approached the cage and she got up and move around like normal, which is what usually happens.
What i meant by "is free to go in and out the cage all day" is that i open the cage door and my birds climb out and hang around on the top.
You think with 2 budgies and a cockatiel they would fly around constantly but no. Our birds are lazy. I try and encourage there exercise with toys and healthy treats.
In the incident where she flew into the window a couple of times, was as i can recall, she was 'hanging around' on top and something scared the birds (such as a loud noise or maybe a bird outside flew by fast and startled all of them) she just unfortunately ended up hitting the window poor thing :(

I just hope she is ok

She looks a bit fluffed up in those pictures. Does she usually have that posture where her head is tucked and feathers fluffed? If so, it may be a sign of illness. I know this to be true of chickens but am no expert on parakeets. BTW what kind of keet is she? I've never seen one with her pacing and coloration before...at least here in the states.

She looks a bit fluffed up in those pictures. Does she usually have that posture where her head is tucked and feathers fluffed?

...mmmm I think so but not 100% sure. Shes loads more fluffier than Coco anyways so its hard to tell.

BTW what kind of keet is she? I've never seen one with her pacing and coloration before...at least here in the states.

I've been trying to find that out. I think she is a British budgerigar(?) or show budgie(?) because she has the big poof on her head and she is bigger in size and fluff.
And if you google British budgerigar that is what she looks like i reckon. Her colour is a grey body and lovely browny grey pattern on her wings, and a big white poof.

As you can tell i don't know the technical names.

Do you take them to a vet regularly? You might want to make sure she is ok.

Otherwise, it might just be her own little thing :3 parrots sometimes have little things like that - and even us aviculturiss can't really explain.

I don't think she has been to a vets before.
She was leaning forward on the swing as I started typing this...so I grabbed the camera ...and the other budgie jumped on the swing and she got up and is standing 'normal' again darn it.

My brother keeps saying she has always done it and so maybe it just is her thing, as no one elses budgies/parakeets do this ?
She was bought from a pet shop my my younger brother, and so we know nothing about where she was breed from etc.
She seriously does not display any other abnormalities so an expensive trip to the vets is my last and final resort.

She is a happy bird, she often chirps a happy tune to me when I'm cooking and eating in the kitchen! And will shout to other birds in the garden, she grooms Coco and eats and poops normal.
So i just hope she is not in any pain or anything.

Thank you everyone for all your help with snowy i really appreciate it!

Budgies usually do that when they have new quil feathers growing in which causes their faces to become itchy.
Nothing to worry about
smile.png
!

Back
Top Bottom