Why does the egg I’m incubating have this weird blood circle?

Could the crack have caused the blood ring?
The Crack may or may not have been the cause. It doesn't have to puncture the membrane to allow bacteria inside, which is what will kill an embryo with a cracked shell.

At the OP, if you get more eggs, some people will melt candle wax or tape over a small Crack. We did that with an egg my mom accidentally dropped during candles at about a week and a half or so that cracked slightly. Chick ended up hatching, though he had crossbeak likely from the impact

Thanks, Jaws. "They" don't tend to be visible ... the veins don't? In a viable egg?
The bloodrings, sorry. If an embryo mostly formed and just not fully sized, they don't show the same symptoms when they die. If they're past that week and a half or so and die, they don't show obvious bloodrings, they just tend to become a free floating mass with tangled, decaying veins

The bloodrings, sorry. If an embryo mostly formed and just not fully sized, they don't show the same symptoms when they die. If they're past that week and a half or so and die, they don't show obvious bloodrings, they just tend to become a free floating mass with tangled, decaying veins
Thanks.

Sorry, Emily, but that is what we call the 'Ring of Death', and it usually appears within the first week of incubation. You're never going to see any development beyond that blood ring in the egg, and as others have stated, you need to remove it, because it's going to become a stink bomb that will explode the instant you touch it, and all of that bacteria is going to go everywhere, including on the eggs that are developing, which, in turn, will kill the whole incubator full of developing chicks. Please, for the sake of those developing, remove the dead egg.

They pointed out the crack, because likely that is the cause of why the blood ring appeared. When we are talking about the crack, or as someone wrote, 'awful poop' with a sick chicken, they're pointing out the indications of why they arrived at the conclusion they're giving you. Cause and effect. They're trying to be helpful, and since you stated you're new to incubating, and apparently, to chicken raising, they're trying to teach you, not be mean.

I’ll make sure the egg is dead before tossing it. I’m regards to the crack, it was very minor and didn’t puncture the inside membrane. Phoenixs being exotic and kinda pricy, I put it in there anyway. I don’t think that affected the health of the embryo.
You can put a thin layer of wax over the crack. If it’s not dead it can still hatch with the wax on it.

You can put a thin layer of wax over the crack. If it’s not dead it can still hatch with the wax on it.
The embryo in the egg is dead. It's not going to hatch. That's the 'Ring of Death'. Pay attention to this document... in particular, pages 3, 4, and 5. Pages 3 and 4 will show the 'Ring of Death', and the causes of the particular types of 'Ring of Death'. Page 5 will show what happens, and my own recommendation as I previously commented on this thread, of what happens with a cracked egg, and it is included in the 'Ring of Death' explanations. But, hey, what do I know??? :idunno:old

https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8134.pdf

I’ll make sure the egg is dead before tossing it. I’m regards to the crack, it was very minor and didn’t puncture the inside membrane. Phoenixs being exotic and kinda pricy, I put it in there anyway. I don’t think that affected the health of the embryo.
without breaking the membrane, it still has to be sealed up by something, otherwise the egg loses too much moisture and and the crack lets bacteria in... I have never managed to successfully hatch a cracked egg, though I have tried to.

Um, the shell is porous and the membrane is permeable. Of course it affects the developing chicks. You have a blood ring because you have an egg that got full of bacteria.

People are pointing out the crack instead of taking about the blood ring to you because the crack most likely caused the blood ring and it’s dead already. They are also recommending you toss it because it could affect the viability of the other expensive egg you have left.

Recognising blood rings and selecting the most viable eggs (i.e. not cracked ones) is kind of a basic skill even for a beginner, so maybe familiarise yourself more with the incubation process and what candled eggs look like at different stages before dropping loads of money on expensive rare breeds. Even one single Google image search or YouTube video would have produced this info. I say this as someone who is well aware they have much to learn and little experience themselves, but all this seems pretty obvious and I don’t know what else you want to hear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom