Why Does the Yolk Stick to a Bowl?

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
I'm getting eggs! The pullets are 20 and 26 weeks old and the one egg I've been getting every other day has increased to three.

As I was making scrambled eggs I noticed that after I beat the eggs with a fork the yolk was sticking to the bottom of the bowl. I needed a rubber spatula to scrape the remaining yolk out of the bowl and into the pan.

Anyone know why the yolk is sticking?

I'm getting eggs! The pullets are 20 and 26 weeks old and the one egg I've been getting every other day has increased to three.

As I was making scrambled eggs I noticed that after I beat the eggs with a fork the yolk was sticking to the bottom of the bowl. I needed a rubber spatula to scrape the remaining yolk out of the bowl and into the pan.

Anyone know why the yolk is sticking?
Yes.

Egg yolks are high fat. Plastic is chemically almost identical to a fat. Ergo, egg yolks stick to plastic REALLY well. Its part of why your tupperware doesn't feel clean, even after the dishwasher on hot/hot after you have stored fatty foods in it.

To a lesser extent, egg yolks are culinary glue - the very nature of the molecules making up the yolk are simply "attractive" in a bunch of ways - not just to other fats/plastics. Some of the proteins in them attract water. Others attract oils. Its like that funny velcro-like fabric that has both the hook and the loop on the same side. Additionally, yolks contain some polar molecules - that is, molecules with a charge on one end, which helps them stick to other polar molecules (of which water is but one example).

Which is why egg yolks are also a common emulsifier - without which hollandaise wouldn't exist.

They are cute, to boot. :lol::lol::lol:
IMG_20230810_172744307~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom