Why does this happen?! *Graphic photos of under developed? ducklings*

Well there are a few options. I would honestly need more information about the hatch though-what temp-how many days is this picture taken-humidity level-and did you assist in the hatch and did this ever happen before. Sorry to answer with more questions but it will help me figure things out. Thanks!

Well there are a few options. I would honestly need more information about the hatch though-what temp-how many days is this picture taken-humidity level-and did you assist in the hatch and did this ever happen before. Sorry to answer with more questions but it will help me figure things out. Thanks!

Temp was 99-100 degrees it was a little high yesterday at one point, maybe up to 101-102. This picture was taken today at day of hatch (26 days) humidity was 70%, assisted at beginning of hatch, they were having trouble poking through, I helped the one and there was yellow starting - I read in another post that this is the point where if they don't get help they will suffocate. I have seen it happen last year with chicks when I believe the temperature was too high, but never this big...

Did they just pip and then you started helping, or were they zipping?
I ask because my ducklings almost always pip day 26 then just sit like that for 24-48 hours before they start to actually hatch on day 27/28. I've always found this to be the biggest difference between duck and chick hatches and actually started locking down earlier to compensate as they wpould pip very soon after lockdown on day 26.
Your little guys hadn't finished absorbing the yolk, so weren't ready to actually hatch for at least another day I'd say.
Can you give more details on what you did?

Back
Top Bottom