1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why??? Doesn't make any sense

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aberfitch, Feb 13, 2009.

1. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    Why is it cheaper to get chicks from a hachery vs. buying hatching eggs from a hachery? I don't know if it is just me but it seems the prices are much higher for haching eggs [​IMG]

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    because they can...

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think thats about it too. [​IMG] Maybe supply and demand?

4. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Chicks have bumpers and airbags, eggs don't so they need less insurance during shipping? Tack the extra handling fees onto the eggs instead of the actual shipping/ handling so folks won't feel cheated by having to pay more for S/H?
    I'll never understand how the human mind perceives some issues. I'll Pay more for eggs but I'll be hanged if I'll pay more for S/H that's robbery! Kinda like being happier to paying $1.99 than $2.00 It's all a pshychological game sales people use.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It's retarded is what it is! [​IMG]

6. farmerbrown

farmerbrown Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    SW VA
    We only buy eggs once a year. It cost us $.25 to .50 more an egg then to get the duck before you look at the not hatching losses. But my wife loves to raise them and we think we have a lower chance of getting a new illness in our chicks.

Peaguy is right about not needing extra packaging but when needed it’s a cheap chick. The packing cost of eggs is higher and every year it’s done differently.

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:lol ....

There really is no good reason why hatching eggs should be any more than a few cents higher than eating eggs. A small charge for the extra work would be reasonable, but no more.

So, we are talking, at most, about $5 per dozen, plus shipping.

The market price for my Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs would be around $2 each, plus shipping.

So if you buy them from me, tell me you are going to eat them, then they will only cost $4 per doz.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by