Why Doesn't my Speckled Sussex hen just LAY

mkeawsh

Woody Hollow
15 Years
Sep 23, 2007
Beaufort, MO
This hen walks around for hours and hours loudly "honking" basically. Will go in every nestbox - come out go to the next and the next and keeps on doing this for hours. It's like she is being so picky about where she wants to lay that she's mad. She's not one that lays in the same one all the time. And she has so many choices. The "honking" for hours gets on your nerves.
he.gif
Her man will even come in go in a nest box and try to prepare it for her and she will go in when he jumps out and she doesn't like that either. Eventually she does lay and then she is "as happy as a lark" - out free-ranging. She is the only one that makes a fuss.
idunno.gif

yuckyuck.gif

I like your rooster though! What breed is he? At least she's laying and not sick. What size are your nesting boxes?

Quote:
They are a pair of standard speckled sussex - the only standards I have, the rest are bantams. They are so docile and gentle and will hang out around me. Yes, the roo - Big Boy - has always been very accommodating to Little Woman. My husband made all the nest boxes to the specs of standards plus a little bigger. So that is not the problem. I have to just agree - she is just high maintenance. Big Boy goes in there and sits outside the nest box with her, when she finally does settle on one and then when she is done resting, they go out together. I was just wondering if this is normal?

It does sound like a personality thing. I had a Speckled Sussex who was quiet as can be - I can't recall ever hearing her make a sound. On the other hand, I have a BO who behaves as you are describing. Not so much the not finding things to her liking part, but she wanders around complaining for sometimes hours before finally getting the job done. If someone else is in the nest box, oh lordy, we never hear the end of it. Some of the girls will all crowd into the box together to lay (they have more than one option but prefer the one box of course). I've seen three of them in there together, laying at the same time, and yes, it looked very crowded. But this BO - no way is she going to sit in the nest box while another hen is there. So we hear about it until the box is empty and she can get in there by herself.

Quote:
I have a couple Spotted Sussex and just love them. They are so loving and will let me hold them. Mine are very curious. Thinking I might get a few more of them. One of the best breeds I have had so far.

Quote:
I have a couple Spotted Sussex and just love them. They are so loving and will let me hold them. Mine are very curious. Thinking I might get a few more of them. One of the best breeds I have had so far.

Actually I have a few of Little Woman's eggs in the incubator with others. I just never know when one will get taken and to not have these personalities past one would just be wrong.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom