Why don't I see more inside-the-coop feed storage bins?

I have my feed stored in my feed stall that is connected to my breeding/brooder and roosting pens. It has a wooden floor. I have about 4 (45 gallon) trash cans with lids on at all times. Nothing can get in the trash cans. I don't have a problem at all. The feed is always fresh.

6612_feeding_stall.jpg

I built storage into my coop, it's on the first floor, and the hen condo is on the top floor. I guess I sacrificed run space doing it, but it makes my life a lot easier. And a galv. trash can seems like just the right thing, so far, so good.

We use labeled and lidded 5 gallon plastic buckets. 2 buckets hold a 50 gallon bag perfect. I have all of my feed stored underneath a few hutches in the rabbit barn ( so the goats, pot bellied pig and birds wont get into it.) I have lost count of how many buckets we seem to have between the layer pellets, chick crumbles, poultry grower, mini pig food, goat food, and rabbit food!

Quote:
WOW, what a luxury to have A/C storage!
smile.png

It is, but in the Florida heat and humidity and storms it helps keep everything fresh much longer. We buy in bulk too, so I can store more at once. We have running water in there too, so going to install small cages this summer for emergencies, storms ect.

Now I just need a goose building and call duck building lol, oh and something for the rabbits too.

My coop is a 5x6 and I store my feed right in the coop. I built a "autofeeder" out of plywood that holds exactly 50#'s of feed. When I built it I made it to fit between the wall studs to save space.. It's nothing more than a tall skinny box with a tray on the bottom, I did cut a slot up the side and put plexiglass over it so I can see how much feed is in it.. It stays dry and I haven't had any critters get into it.

To Speed, How very clever!
My coop is a 5x6 and I store my feed right in the coop. I built a "autofeeder" out of plywood that holds exactly 50#'s of feed. When I built it I made it to fit between the wall studs to save space.. It's nothing more than a tall skinny box with a tray on the bottom, I did cut a slot up the side and put plexiglass over it so I can see how much feed is in it.. It stays dry and I haven't had any critters get into it.​

Not enough room in ours either. Right now the feed is stored inside, We will be getting some plastic bins soon and then putting them in the garage for the feed as the coop is right behind the garage, So thats handy enough for me
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom