Why don't I see more inside-the-coop feed storage bins?

I am using a plastic trash can with a lid that locks on with a quarter turn and have been for a while. It's the same can I used for my pigeons and I have never had feed get wet or ruined in it. I keep it in a metal storage shed about 25' feet from my coop and use a scoop or bucket to carry the feed to the feeders.

Same here, tractor coops have no room. WE are currently using plastic storage tubs for all the crumbles and scratch. We have outside 'barn' cats, that help with the prolific mice. A rat problem may be diferent, but we dont have them here. I was considering building a drop lidded bin-box lined with recovered duct work metal, that would fulfill all the needs for me. I dont like plastic totes, they are too fragile, and can be chewed through.

Quote:
What other type storage did you have in mind?

Big wooden bins aren't good b/c they're difficult to impossible to clean and can start infecting all loads of feed with mold. Also most people on BYC don't use that much feed and it's better not to store it for more than a month or so before use. Also of course wood is chewable. Big metal bins are reasonable if you have hundreds of chickens but if like most BYCers you buy a sack or two of feed per week they don't make a lot of sense, and can be vulnerable to condensation issues.

Me, I do have a storage area in my chicken bldg (only b/c I have the space available, and most here don't), but I just store feed in its original sacks in plastic trash cans. (The building is rodentproof, and when I do occasionally get one or two rats establishing themselves in there I evict them before they can do any damage. I'd use galvanized cans if this were not the case). I buy feed every couple weeks. It's fresher that way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

DH built a small closet into the 8x8 coop it has 3 shelves for litter & the food is in a plastic trash can that locks . with the mesh in the frame of the coop hopefully nothing will gnaw through . Everything stays dry & is handy as well.
smile.png

I have a barrel with a screw down lid that is in my coop which is 12 by 8.
The chickens do poop on the lid so I have to dump it off first.

I just use 5 gallon buckets with lids on them.

Our main hanging feeder in the coop will hold a 50lb bag and the rest is poured into 5 gallon buckets. (2) 5 gallon buckets will hold a 50lb bag, and here on the farm we have more buckets than we know what to do with.

Galvanized and inside the coop here, for years, and so far nothing has gotten in, nor has there been a problem with condensation, although it is plenty humid here. I didn't consider plastic as I've seen them chewed through by chipmunks and such. Just my experience, of course. And there is room in my coop for feed and a lawn chair (but then my materials were largely free so building large wasn't a problem.)

However you can manage it, it's certainly wonderful to have the feed stored in or right next to the coop.

We used to keep our rabbit food in a galvanized trash can next to the rabbit pen (outside). It got moldy somehow. So now we keep it in the garage and I put something in the bottom so the bag of food doesn't sit right on the bottom of the can.

Quote:
What other type storage did you have in mind?

Big wooden bins aren't good b/c they're difficult to impossible to clean and can start infecting all loads of feed with mold. Also most people on BYC don't use that much feed and it's better not to store it for more than a month or so before use. Also of course wood is chewable. Big metal bins are reasonable if you have hundreds of chickens but if like most BYCers you buy a sack or two of feed per week they don't make a lot of sense, and can be vulnerable to condensation issues.

Me, I do have a storage area in my chicken bldg (only b/c I have the space available, and most here don't), but I just store feed in its original sacks in plastic trash cans. (The building is rodentproof, and when I do occasionally get one or two rats establishing themselves in there I evict them before they can do any damage. I'd use galvanized cans if this were not the case). I buy feed every couple weeks. It's fresher that way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Just thinking about it while carring a couple bags into the garage and then watching wife carry a small bucket to the coop. As a kid on the farm, the grain for tat animal was kept near the feeder and available. Really like Speed's design concept and am looking forward to see it in use

Back
Top Bottom