Why don't my chickens like/want to eat scratch?

lisahaschickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Newbie here -

My chickies are 10 weeks old and eating all kinds of things, including lots of free-range. They get grit from me and also from outside on the ground. I got them some scratch grains because everything I read says that chickens are NUTS for scratch and that I could use it to lure them back into the run when I need them to be locked up (they have a secure coop and run but I free-range them when I can be out with them). However, I have tossed them some and either they ignore it or they run from it. I know that everything new is scary until they get used to it... but these grains are already mixed in their regular food and are even from the same mill...

Do some chickens just not like scratch or might I try some other way to get them interested? Right now, if we have to round them up before they want to go in, it takes a long time and a lot of chasing... with chickens' popping back out as we let new ones in... it's actually pretty funny, but it sure would be nice to be able to get them in quickly if need be...

Thanks for any thoughts!
~Lisa

Give them time. There were lots of things I thought mine should like and they turned up their noses at it, and then when they got older they were ravenous for it. Even now, at 9 months old, they won't eat an apple.

if you know of something they like then that is
the treat to feed them at the door of the coop
is the run so it can have a gate and you can stand at the gate and put the treat just inside the gate
towards the door or run hole
genersally they like mellons
and I would have them hungrey by taking up the feed when you let them out
thus they will come when you call them

Actually scratch is really not that good for hem
but to each his own

hopefully you can get them used to being called in at night
10 weeks is really young yet

oh they go in fine when they are ready to... it's not a nighttime thing. They have an outdoor run that they are in all day long... I just like to let them out to range in the grass when I can hang out with them a bit... but then I need to go back inside and work, etc. Eventually we shoo them in or they go in on their own. I was just hoping the scratch would be a sure thing. I know it's not great for them if they get a lot but I'm only talking a handful to get them in the run. Anyway... so far they have preferred staying out in the grass over all other treats, so it may be a lost cause. They LOVE yogurt, but it won't get them to go back in the run during daylight hours
smile.png

At night, they always put themselves away nicely. No real complaints. I just think it's so odd that they don't want the scratch when so many chickens are so crazy for it.

If I really need my girls to go in a certian area all I have to do is show them a slice of bread and they come running.

The young chicks already are learning what bread is. It is so cute. Bread is easier for them to see. Also they all LOVE bananas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gook luck. Just try different things.

Back
Top Bottom