Why don't my chickens molt?

They won't molt if you keep lights on. Length of day light is what triggers them to molt in the fall. If you don't use lights, dunno.

How old are they? Makes a big difference!
big_smile.png
When mine, mostly older hens now, molt, it looks like a pillow factory exploded. The younger ones don't really molt much, more like shedding lightly.

ETA, the first BIG molt usually happens at about 18 months.

Last edited:
I have birds from just born to 4-5 years old. They never evvvveeerrr molt. I will notice a few tail feathers gone here and there but thats about it.

Different birds can also molt...well...differently. I have a few that I see every year drop their feathers like they're on fire, bald. Then over the next few weeks they just grow them all back at once. I also have others who I will never actually 'notice' molting unless I pick them up and physically check for new feather growth. If normal hours of light and dark are given, all birds should molt.

I agree with ThePolishPrincess.

I have around 700 here now and some are bald for a while and some just shed a feather here or there and grow in new ones. Very private. Mine are fed the same so it has to do with the birds.

Yep, age! I think that most molts before 18 months old are small and pretty un-noticeable. Usually, egg laying doesn't stop with those. Maybe a bird has never had a large molt, but I think that they have all molted somewhat in their lives.

Back
Top Bottom