Why don't people listen... Rant

I had a circumstance similar. A woman bought some birds from me. She had them for awhile and let them free range. All of the birds were eventually gotten by predators. She came back to buy more birds and the same thing happened again and again I sold her a few birds and of course it happened again. She came back again but this time I told her I didn't have any birds for sale. I was tired of selling her birds just to let them be taken by predators.

I have had people in the past come over because they know I sell eggs so they assume I also sell chickens which I do occasionally. Because of issues in the past, I only sell the birds I want to sell at our local swap meet. I don't lecture people on how to care for their birds but will give my opinion if asked. Everyone's situation is different. If I have issues with a person I will tell them I don't have any birds for sale. Most of the time when I have birds for sale I have a buyer for them. I am taking some birds to the swap to sell tomorrow but they are sold so I know the person buying them and where they are going.

How can someone own chickens and not be devastated when something happens to them and then just keep replacing them without trying to prevent what happened in the first place. The first and only time a dog got in my garden and killed one of my girls i put in wire fencing all around and blocked off any holes in my hedges
It is probably the same reason that people keep letting their cats roam outdoors. They get run over by cars, killed by coyotes and other animals, eat bad things, get sick and die. Yet, they get more cats and let them outside.
Habit or stupidity.

How can someone own chickens and not be devastated when something happens to them and then just keep replacing them without trying to prevent what happened in the first place. The first and only time a dog got in my garden and killed one of my girls i put in wire fencing all around and blocked off any holes in my hedges
I just read one where a fox came back and killed at least one...The fox will always come back! Figure out how to protect the flock!

I just read one where a fox came back and killed at least one...The fox will always come back! Figure out how to protect the flock!
We've had a couple days of snow, just half inch and dustings. When I went out to the coops yesterday, there were several sets of tracks one was clearly a fox, another a coyote and some raccoon/opossum plus lots of rabbit and squirrel tracks.
Coyotes have been the worst predator for me this last year and this one was definitely checking out all the coops.

Last edited:
I hope you have electric wire around your coop and run/pen. A neighbor gave some people who hunt coyotes, permission to hunt on his land. He's had found some dens and we have/had a lot of coyotes. For the past three weeks I have only gotten a picture of one coyote one night. The neighbor is only here on the weekends but told me the other day that he hasn't seen any either and he was seeing a lot. Not sure if the hunters may have gotten most of them. I have heard some shooting and some was around midnight. Prior, hardly a night would go by without seeing a coyote on at lease one of the cameras. I have 10 cameras.

Sadly, this is my experience in my job (IT-consultant). It has become so difficult to explain more complex things to people because you are just loosing them after a very short time. And some things cannot be explained in one sentence. - Taking care for poultry for example. I guess we could chat for hours about what you need to do, what your can do and what you should not do ever. (You still here?) People are no longer reading books or manuals, they just want am instruction-video, but a short one. Like "just press this big red button and every problem is solved" - and yes, your red button is the biggest one in the world…
That’s very funny but, sadly, believable.

Back
Top Bottom