Why don't they go into their house at dusk???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peggyb43, Jul 20, 2010.

1. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    My 9 chicks are 5 weeks old and have been in our coop since they were two weeks old. They have a heat lamp at night to make sure the temp is right. It's been around 100 degrees here and it's hot in the coop, so I've been letting them out into the run (about 50 feet per side) under a huge tree for shade. But when it gets dark, they don't go back into their house and I don't know why. Are they too young yet? I've had chickens before and they always "put themselves to bed at dusk". I hate to not let them out because of the heat, but it's a real struggle rounding them up at night. Any ideas?

2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Since they are 5 weeks old and it's so warm where you live they don't need the heat lamp anymore. It's too hot in there and that's probably why they won't go in. Try shutting it off and just putting a small wattage bulb in there, instead, so they won't have to enter the coop in the dark. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    The first few nights, ours wanted to go to sleep by the door in the run. We just waited until after dark and moved them in the coop and they stayed there for the night. We only had to do this two or three days and they got it! I wouldn't use a light anymore, but if you feel the need to, try a blacklight bulb. It may be the light or the heat that they don't want to be in the coop with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by