Why don't they like her???

JustClucky

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
TX
I have an EE that's about 10 weeks old now or thereabout. A while back, her brooder mates picked out all of her back feathers and that was horrible. She healed up from that and ever since, we've been trying to get the other chickens to accept her. We've done the thing where we section her off so they see her but can't hurt her. They just hate her. I have 5 others at the moment who just attack her like crazy. One of them is a roo that we're getting rid of but he's not the main problem. NONE of them had a problem with her until the others ripped her back up! She was the patron saint of the brooder. The dumb cockerel attacks her and then when he wants to take a nap, he goes and tries to wiggle under her like she's mom. He's 5 weeks old, btw... How can I help her? Even the bantams are out to get her and she just cowers in the corner waiting for me to rescue her out there. The others are just mean as spit to her!

Any insight would be appreciated.
wink.png

i'm also in the same boat right now
i purchased a new hen and put her in with the other 2 hens and roo and the roo likes her and tries to protect her but the other hens are relentless.
i came home from work yesterday and she was crammed head first into a corner and her feet were pecked and bleeding.
i fixed her up and put her back in after dark and watched. it was ok today. i put her outside in their pen with one of the hens and that seemed to go well. i'm gonna do it again tomorrow and see if she can bond with at least one of them and maybe there will be peace,
i figure if i take her out she will eventually have to go back in and we will have to start all over.
i hope yours gets a friend soon

i had this happen to my lone silkie last year. i had to give my silkie away. now she's happily living on 5 acres with a big rooster named Toad as her boyfriend and she has since become a mother. so i know she's happy now. but i would give her away if you've tried everything else. OR, give all the mean girls away and get a new flock. good luck!

My Easter Eggers are a bit on the milk toast side....they get bullied. On the other hand, when we first started out, we introduced a couple day old Silver laced wyandotte to a group of much older chicks and within a week she was in charge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom