Why don't we turn eggs after day 18?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zowieyellowflame, Jun 21, 2009.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Hello,
    Wondering why no turning after day 18. I have been candling a bunch of eggs under a broody that are at all different stages. It is possible I candled some that are 18 to 20 days. I likely did not put them back exactly as they were.... did I hinder their hatch?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It allows the chick to get into hatching position. If you watch a hen at about day 18 she barely moves. It also allows the chick to get that final growth spurt by absorbing most of the rest of the yolk.

3. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    So what if they are moved?[​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I can't tell you how many times Ive miscounted, or miscalculated, and looked in my incubator and have seen a chick staring back at me in the egg turner. I dont think incubating rules are set in stone, theres a very wide gray area with a lot of "rules".

5. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Quote:So true!

The broody hen isn't doing rocket science either [​IMG]

Somehow, life finds a way if it is meant to be!!!

6. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I do not feel so bad admitting that I have had 4 hatchings in my incubator. Being dyslectic it makes it even easier to miss a dated egg.........or at least it gives me a usable excuse.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I remember someone posted months ago she was saving up eggs and stacked them on her large incubator and kept saving eggs and they started hatching up there! They never were turned, no humidity control, no NOTHING!!! She didn't get a good hatch rate, but for doing nothing, I'd say she did okay...

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    !oot cixelsyd m'I

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: