Why don't we turn eggs after day 18?

zowieyellowflame

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hello,
Wondering why no turning after day 18. I have been candling a bunch of eggs under a broody that are at all different stages. It is possible I candled some that are 18 to 20 days. I likely did not put them back exactly as they were.... did I hinder their hatch?

It allows the chick to get into hatching position. If you watch a hen at about day 18 she barely moves. It also allows the chick to get that final growth spurt by absorbing most of the rest of the yolk.

So what if they are moved?
sad.png

I can't tell you how many times Ive miscounted, or miscalculated, and looked in my incubator and have seen a chick staring back at me in the egg turner. I dont think incubating rules are set in stone, theres a very wide gray area with a lot of "rules".

Quote:
ya.gif

I do not feel so bad admitting that I have had 4 hatchings in my incubator. Being dyslectic it makes it even easier to miss a dated egg.........or at least it gives me a usable excuse.

I remember someone posted months ago she was saving up eggs and stacked them on her large incubator and kept saving eggs and they started hatching up there! They never were turned, no humidity control, no NOTHING!!! She didn't get a good hatch rate, but for doing nothing, I'd say she did okay...

Back
Top Bottom