Why ducks?

bUg_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
On a mountain
I'm trying to convince my husband to let me get some ducks for our little farm. The question is this: What do they do? In what way are they useful? His big argument is that they'll just be another cost with little return. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

They eat bugs and worms. They are cute as a button as ducklings. They lay gorgeous eggs and often are much better egg producers than chickens. Extra drakes make excellent table birds depending on the breed you choose.

they have eyes....thats all I got
wee.gif

Ok, we're getting there. But, we have guineas. Which also eat bugs and have a high amuzing factor (at least ours do). Will ducks eat grubs?

What types of ducks are good for eating? What breed is recommended as an all purpose duck?

I love this - I'll have so much ammo - he can't say no. Ok, ok, he really doesn't say no I just have to justify the cost. And so far, I've won just on the egg factor
smile.png

Thanks!

Eggs, meat and entertaiment.Don't diminish the last.Most evenings after work I'll drink some tea (or beer) in a lawn chair and watch em.Wife calls it redkneck TV.

Ducks are such good foragers that they are the most efficient egg producers in relation to how much you need to feed them. They are very disease resistent and also cold/heat hardy.
Here is an article by Dave Holderread which might help you out. He talks a lot about the egg laying prowess of the ducks and recommends some good breeds for this. One of those breeds, the Welsh Harlequin, is also considered to be a really good meat bird because it's coloration makes it a lot easier to pluck than some others.
(I wouldn't know personally as I could never do it myself)
hide.gif

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-5/Dave_Holderread.html

• Disease resistant
• AWESOME eggs
• Eat weeds
• Eat slugs, rolly pollies and other garden pests
• Chase squirrels (Seriously! They do not let those fuzzy little tree rats in their yard. This alone has endeared them to my husband and he is now a very big duck fan
big_smile.png
)
• Good meat (if you get moscovies or pekins, but there are dual purpose ducks that also lay eggs well too... Welsh Harlequins, Khaki Campbells, Buff Orpingtons...)
• Entertainment
• Duck-ponics (I will be experimenting with this as soon as the ground thaws...duck pond feeds in to hydroponics bed to grow duck weed which filters in to growing bed for people food then back in to the pond)

Last edited:
Whya duck-you must be kidding!!!!!!!!!
gig.gif

Groucho
You're a peach, boy! Now, here is a little peninsula, and here is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
Chico
Why a duck?
Groucho
I'm all right. How are you? I say here is a little peninsula, and here's a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
Chico
All right. Why a duck?
Groucho
I'm not playing Ask-Me-Another. I say, that's a viaduct.
Chico
All right. Why a duck? Why a why a duck? Why a no chicken?

Back
Top Bottom