Why EE Eggs Didn't Develop?

Lolliegee

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
I had a broody hen and wanted mostly Easter Eggers out of the hatch...She had a total of 19 eggs under her...they were all smaller eggs from young hens (born in Feb). All but one of the eight other eggs hatched. I opened up the EE eggs and not one of the had any development in them. I had thought I was just wrong when candling them and that it was just harder to see through them. The eggs came from two EEs both born in Feb also. I had been checking for fertility so, I am sure they were fertile. I would love some input on why they might not have developed. Thanks!!

No, they weren't shipped. The rooster is the same age as the hens...born in February. We've only got one roo and he's the one that fertilized the successful eggs too.

also my hen's egg not fertile at all, and i'm too confused about this too.
hu.gif

I think it's that she says "no" and he lets her, LOL. Suede loves all the ladies, but maybe Skye has taken over the diva role when Velvet passed away last year. Messes with my plans, though. Wish I knew for sure and knew what to tell Lolligee! Maybe his rooster doesn't like bearded ladies?

cynthia, can you help us about artificial insemination? i was thinking about my roo and find on net to make the eggs fertile and i found a video that show how to get *liquid* from roo and inseminate to the girls, but i really can't see the *liquid* so i still not understand how to make it happen, i hate to have my roo can't do his job well even he is keep in the coop together with 2 hen,only 1 hen lay, all of her eggs not fertile and she has went broody 2 times in 2 months.
roll.png

edit: edited some word, family safe forum of course.
smile.png

Last edited:
My roo definitely has his fun with the two EE girls. I've seen him doing it. I've checked their eggs for fertility and all the ones I've checked have been fertile. That's why I decided to put them under the broody hen. I was quite bummed that none of them developed. I'm clueless.

I've decided to get a couple more EEs and an EE rooster to replace the Red Star rooster that we have. Maybe that'll help the fertility. Who knows.
idunno.gif
Cause, I sure don't.

Back
Top Bottom