Why get a roo?

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
First, pardon me for being completely ignorant on the subject. There are two 1+year laying hens and three 5 month old pullets roaming the grounds here. Those five are just beginning to get along. There's also three more pullets under a week old in the brooder. Aside from the obvious (fertilized eggs), why do people have Roosters? I hear they're loud, obnoxious, and beat up on the girls. This is an honest question, as I personally think they can be very handsome.

Yes, they can be loud. And not just at dawn, either.

Only one of my several roosters is obnoxious, but he's a banty rooster (Silver Sebright) so he's awfully small. And good looking. It's just funny that he tries to flog visitors. Well, some times he is successful, but I've warned 'em and they're familiar with his antics. He challenges me, but does not attack me because I have demonstrated I am dominant over him. (He is not the dominant rooster of the flock.)

"Beat up the hens" is really just over-mating, which wears off their back feathers and sometimes the feathers on the backs of their heads where the rooster grabs with his beak whilst exercising his rooster sties of fertilizing her eggs.

If you have plenty of hens, chances are they won't be damaged by over-making, as there will be lots of ladies for him to spend his energy. However, roosters sometimes have favorite hens they mate more than others.

Besides being handsome fellas (nice yard eye candy), roosters also settle squabbles between hens, provide a warning alert system when they see predators, find goodies for the ladies, greet the morning with loud announcements, and also provide fertilizer just like the hens, eat bugs like the hens, and can sometimes be brave enough to challenge predaors to save his girls.

Their interaction with the flock is SO interesting to watch!

Well, first I would just like to say you don't sound completely ignorant on the subject to me after all you already know that some roos can be loud, obnoxious, and beat up on the girls, so you know some stuff it just happens to be the bad stuff. But not all roos are bad, I have a roo right now that is great, he alerts his hens to any danger, finds nice food for them, fertilizes their eggs, is a nice bit of eye candy, has a very pretty crow every morning, and not once has he gone after me, and that is why I have a roo. I used to have one that was mean to me and his hens, so I just sold him and bought the nice lil roo I have now. Not all roos are alike some are nice and do their jobs well, while others belong in the stew pot.

I've lucked out with my roos so far. I have 2 to my 24 hens. The one I purchased, a GLW, Earl, is so big and sooo handsom. So far he's mellow, doesn't crow much, and is good tempered. My other roo, Mick, a crested polish, (he was a freebie the hatchery throws in) he crows A LOT. But it's not too bad, he likes to make announcements. He's fun to watch, and his looks have grown on me. His personality is funny, and he's not aggressive. They're both almost 20 weeks and seem to be taking their rooster responsibilities well. I've seen Mick get between one of our kittens and a hen, and even a donkey and a hen, to protect them. They don't seem to pick on any of the hens, and they seem to get along okay together. I haven't seen any squabbles between them. I'm glad I decided to get the rooster, and can't wait to see how big and handsom they will get! I'm also so happy I didn't end up with a rooster with an attitude problem...well, so far any way.
fl.gif

I have mine strictly because I want fertilized eggs. All of the above-mentioned reasons are a bonus. It's fun to watch the interaction. I do have to comment on the "breaks up squabbles between the hens" - it's my DOG that does that! He has to be in on whatever goes on between the girls. They squabble, he's over there immediately nosing around, breaking it up.

Back
Top Bottom