Why has my young hen died?

You mustn't blame yourself. These things happen and if your hen was eggbound then she was just unlucky. You may not have been able to fix it anyway.

Much of the time, we don't realise how sick they are until it is too late because they hide it. Since they are prey animals, that is a survival instinct.

If a chicken is unusually quiet, fluffed up and lets you pick it up when normally it would run away, and lets you pet it when normally it would fight you, then it is not relaxed, it is sick. Chicken keeping is an ongoing learning experience and we have all been there at the start, not knowing much, trust me. We've all made mistakes in this learning journey, but it is what we do with that knowledge that matters.

You don't know for sure what she died of, and it could be any number of things. You should watch the rest of the flock very carefully for the next few weeks because if it was a disease then it may start showing in the others.

BYC is here to help, advise and educate. It is a brilliant forum with loads of really helpful and wise people. Keep posting when you need to. No question is too silly to ask.
thank you for your words.

i will keep an eye on my flock.

Definitely don’t blame yourself or think it ignorance. Many times it’s really difficult to tell when they are really sick. It sounds like your little one went downhill quickly. Often mine have been sick for a little while before I notice.
thank you for your words.

Back
Top Bottom