Why hasn't my welsummer hen started laying eggs?

EnidaGetMoreEggs

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Hello! I got 2 day old Welsummer chicks in the beginning of March 2021. They are both hens now and are approximately 7 months old. One has a beautiful full red comb and lays spectacular eggs. The other has just barley started to grown her comb. She has not started laying yet. Does anyone know what's going on with her? All my other hens that are of age are laying. Any advice and ideas are appreciated.

Thankyou

Could be just a slow starter if she doesn't have any health problems. Pullet's combs usually become red and full just before they start laying so if hers is growing she is getting somewhere at least.
Is she a normal weight (check her breastbone to see if she is too skinny)? Have you checked for parasites? Is she low on the pecking order and being bullied maybe?

Could be just a slow starter if she doesn't have any health problems.
Ditto Dat.

They are both hens now and are approximately 7 months old.
Not a hen until one year of age.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom