Why have a rooster? new Pg 10 video pg 13

He is beautiful!
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png

Thanks...I love him too pieces. He just turned three in July and is still at the helm around here....he is just spoiled rotten but still doing his job. :)

Dear Chicken Lovers:

Among chickens roosters are better pets than hens.
* Males develop a more intimate relationship with you than females. This is my experience. I have had 3 roosters and various hens.
* Generally the rooster is more pretty than the hen.
* To prohibit roosters because of being all noisy is complete nonsense, even if they do so. The barking of a dog is as noisy as the crowing of a rooster. Whereas I consider the crowing of a rooster quite more beautiful than the noise of a barking dog. But everyone loves dogs, contrary to roosters.

Less noisy are all Bantam-roosters, because their voice is too weak.
A good option in big birds is the rooster from cochin chicken breed: he crows quite little, because he is too lazy. Another advantage of this breed is that it pecks you very little or not at all, because cochins are very, very pacific.

Yours truly: Toivo Willmann

Dear Chicken Lovers:

Among chickens roosters are better pets than hens.
* Males develop a more intimate relationship with you than females. This is my experience. I have had 3 roosters and various hens.
* Generally the rooster is more pretty than the hen.
* To prohibit roosters because of being all noisy is complete nonsense, even if they do so. The barking of a dog is as noisy as the crowing of a rooster. Whereas I consider the crowing of a rooster quite more beautiful than the noise of a barking dog. But everyone loves dogs, contrary to roosters.

Less noisy are all Bantam-roosters, because their voice is too weak.
A good option in big birds is the rooster from cochin chicken breed: he crows quite little, because he is too lazy. Another advantage of this breed is that it pecks you very little or not at all, because cochins are very, very pacific.

Yours truly: Toivo Willmann

{My 9 bantam roos are every bit as loud as my 3 LF roos, fwiw. } ;)

Tovio some valid points made but I would like to say that several points are a bit off. Bantam boys can be as loud as LF some even louder.

The boys are often prettier as you said because by natures design, male birds tend to be more brightly colored or patterned to draw attention of predators whereas hens need to be able to hide.

Cochin are not necessarily a quieter breed....roosters crow when roosters want to. Cochin are a docile friendly bunch usually. I have always lived the Cochin I have had over the years.

I love hearing my boys crowing.....whereas the area barking dogs are obnoxious and you could not be more correct on that front.

With what a hell do you feed them, with steroidhormons? Or your neighbours have very silent large chicken breeds to be compared with.

Yours truly: Toivo

Huh? They are all eating the same thing. Afaik, food has nothing to do with vocal ability. My mille fleur d'Uccle has one of the loudest crows and he's the littlest of the bunch (my bantams are a few months older than my LFs) and my silver spangled hamburg boy is the quietest. And my sultans (bantams) knocked it out of the park, too. :D

It's personality. :)

I can't actually see another house, but my neighbors who stop love to hear my boys.
2665.png

Tovio some valid points made but I would like to say that several points are a bit off. Bantam boys can be as loud as LF some even louder.

The boys are often prettier as you said because by natures design, male birds tend to be more brightly colored or patterned to draw attention of predators whereas hens need to be able to hide.

Cochin are not necessarily a quieter breed....roosters crow when roosters want to. Cochin are a docile friendly bunch usually. I have always lived the Cochin I have had over the years.

I love hearing my boys crowing.....whereas the area barking dogs are obnoxious and you could not be more correct on that front.

My bantam cochins are loud, too. My one black cochin (bantam) is actually one of the more aggressive boys (just doing his job) until you pick him up.

I absolutely adore all my boys! :D

Tikkijane I adore my boys and have the hardest time rehiming a boy when I have to. I had 17 at one time. LOL

Tikkijane I adore my boys and have the hardest time rehiming a boy when I have to. I had 17 at one time. LOL

Me too! The current thing I'm worried about is our probable move across the country. People have no problem taking girls, but nobody wants boys. Hoping either the people who buy the house will want them or Hunny will let me move them this time. My stock trailer could be fitted to transport them all, although we'd have to have a coop on the other end waiting for us. Ugh. So stressful when I think about this. I
2665.png
all my kids. ......

Back
Top Bottom