Why have a run at all?

gingerpeach22

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Fairbanks
If there is a great coop which has "all" the chickens need (warmth, light, food, water, roosts, nest boxes, ventilation), why do people build a run?

They like to have the fresh air, scratch around in the dirt, and have space to move around. If you had a really big coop (like 15+ square feet per chicken) with a dust bath, and scratch and so on, they probably wouldn't mind, but it's cheaper and easier to provide all of that in a run. I shut my girls in today while I was working on the run, and I could hear them in there clucking and tut-tutting until I let them get back out into the run.

Not only do we like Happy Chickens which enjoy the outdoors, we like to SEE our flock enjoying themselves. Who wants to only view one's chickens through coop windows or doors?

Some coops are solid buildings, without see-through fencing material walls.

And why free range? For the same reason - plus it gives the chickens more goodies to eat! That is, unless you catch bugs, grubs, and toss a variety of greens and seeds into the coop FOR them.

On top of all the other reasons already posted, I think it is important that the hens get a certain amount of real sun light on their whole bodies. Not a scientific statement, just my opinion. I *think* sunlight plays a role in molting and egg laying?

Been raising chickens for most all of my life(almost 40) years and never built one chicken house or pen with a run on it. We had big fenced in yard at one time that we would release them out into, that is until the hawks and owls started hitting us. Plus we lived in an area with any and ever varmint known to man and we just couldnt afford to build a run because we had to put so much effort into making the chicken house or pens varmint proof.
Just a differing opinion. I am not opposed to runs, I think they are great if you can do it. Just think its not an essential for me.

I have a run, but the chickens don't use it. They free range all day.

Imp- So I guess I have a coop with a Foyer.
roll.png

I think my run is smaller than normal. I let my girls out all day and they come in when it gets dark. I just use the run for when I am gone on trips for a week or so. that way they can still get out and scratch around.

Quote:
Are you talking about "when the chickens free range during the day and are only in the coop at night"? If so, the answer is "so you have a plan B readily at hand for times when the chickens can't be let loose, e.g. there are marauding dogs in the neighborhood or you just put weedkiller on your lawn... with a secure run available, the chickens needn't be locked indoors for hours or days".

Or are you talking about "why not just keep chickens 100% indoors all the time?" In which case, the answer is "because a lot of people think it is unnatural, unfair and unhealthy, and because chickens really really LIKE being outdoors".

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom