Why have Roosters

i have a giant australorp rooster. hes about 6 months old. Huge, stately, beautiful bird. before i got him the hens were sleeping outside, here and there. runnin wild. Now that i have him, theyre right next to him every night on the perch. he fends the ducks off long enough for the hens to eat. he definately lets his ladies eat before even going for the food. and he's an amazing looking bird. ALWAYS keeping a look out. every other bird is peckin at the ground, hes lookin around and up and down all day keepin em safe. you dont NEED a rooster, but why not?

good mornin friends.
caf.gif

Ipersonally love roosters, we've had 4 roost's, they are good for 2 things, meat and show.
woot.gif
woot.gif

Last edited:
I hope I'm not repeating anyone
smile.png
but I have roosters becaue I think the hens are happier with them.

Once the hens get over themselves, let the rooster mount them as he pleases, they realize the rooster finds them food, keeps an eye out for them, and even helps them find a place to lay eggs. When my girls first started laying, the rooster (Wormwood) stood near by and joined in on the triumph cackling afterward
smile.png

There's nothing like seeing your hens following the rooster around the yard, or seeing them come running when he chirps over a bug he found for them. It just seems RIGHT to have a rooster for your girls. I do not need one, or want fertile eggs, nor do I want to eat him someday. He makes the hens lives complete
smile.png

Quote:
ditto!!! thats exaclty what my rooster does, yesterday he rooster makes a grunting sound......"come n' get dinner" its the best thing! he is so good with the girls!
34076_img_1732.jpg
heres our man!

Last edited:
I've been raising chickens for a few years and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like roosters. A lot of them can become aggressive for no reason and at any given age. I've had some show aggression at 2-3 months and I had one begin to show aggression after 3-4 years. I free range my girls and I don't want to have to be constantly watching my back whenever I'm outside. I can't really enjoy a critter that attacks the person that brings them food and makes sure they always have fresh unfrozen water. I do keep anywhere from 2-3 roosters (not in the same coop as the girls), because I need them for fertile eggs of specific breeds.

Back
Top Bottom