Why haven’t my 3 hens laid yet?!

Chickenlover600

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
I have 7 hens and 4 of them I got when they were baby chicks that were 96% hens on February 1st 2021 at pratts petts. I got a buff Orpington, 2 Easter eggers, and a Cornish cross, I adopted the other hens because we wanted some layers and my other hens weren’t laying yet even though it had been 6 months, I wasn’t too considered thinking they were going to lay any day well it has been 8 months now and they still haven’t laid is this normal? They all eat normal layer feed, the photos below are ones I took just now so you can see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 4
I have 7 hens and 4 of them I got when they were baby chicks that were 96% hens on February 1st 2021 at pratts petts. I got a buff Orpington, 2 Easter eggers, and a Cornish cross, I adopted the other hens because we wanted some layers and my other hens weren’t laying yet even though it had been 6 months, I wasn’t too considered thinking they were going to lay any day well it has been 8 months now and they still haven’t laid is this normal? They all eat normal layer feed, the photos below are ones I took just now so you can see.
I do not see very many that look ready. The cornish X is a meat bird. The Brahma seems slightly ready, but its a hit or miss. My pullets did not lay through winter last year. They just started too...it was a bummer. Some people have birds that lay through winter and some birds do not.

I agree, comb-wise they don't look ready but a check of the pelvic bones will tell you who is close. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
If you are in the northern hemisphere, declining day length is likely the main culprit. At my latitude our day length is nearly 15 hours at summer solstice. It is less than 11 1/2 hours now and declining about 2-3 minutes per day. That is a signal to the pineal gland that production should cease.

Back
Top Bottom