1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why haven't my pullets stared laying yet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickabator, Mar 28, 2008.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    they are 24 week old br. combs are very bright red and have been for a while now still no eggs what is going on?

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Are they squatting? What kind are they? Heavy breeds?

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Maybe give it a little more time, sometimes they wait for a little better weather.

4. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    What kind of food do they eat? They need layer food.

5. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    they are Barred rocks and we have been having beautiful weather here it has been in the 70's here
    they get layer pelets we also give them table scraps in the evening sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  6. TaconChicks

TaconChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    Pflugerville, TX
    Mine were in the 24 - 26 week range before they started laying. The waiting was so painful, but I had nests with golf balls in them and once they started laying, they all did within a couple weeks.

Check for the squatting. (When you get close to them, they squat instead of run.) This is an indicator that they are laying or soon will be.

Also check the food postings on this site. I recall seeing that some human food slows down laying. (My chickens love oranges, but it they lay less when they have them.)

7. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    my pullets are squatting!!!! we moved them today to another lot and when DH went to pick one of them up she squatted!! I might have eggs before too long now!!!

8. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Hope, you get eggs soon.

9. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Putting a light in my coop to increase their "daylight" hours to 14-15 hours a day did the trick with my hens. I had eggs within 4 days of doing that. And it doesn't need to be a bright light, I just use a little 40-watt bulb. [​IMG]

10. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Do they free range? They may be laying already and you just haven't found their hiding places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by