why haven't my pullets stared laying yet?

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
they are 24 week old br. combs are very bright red and have been for a while now still no eggs what is going on?

they are Barred rocks and we have been having beautiful weather here it has been in the 70's here
they get layer pelets we also give them table scraps in the evening sometimes.

Last edited:
Mine were in the 24 - 26 week range before they started laying. The waiting was so painful, but I had nests with golf balls in them and once they started laying, they all did within a couple weeks.

Check for the squatting. (When you get close to them, they squat instead of run.) This is an indicator that they are laying or soon will be.

Also check the food postings on this site. I recall seeing that some human food slows down laying. (My chickens love oranges, but it they lay less when they have them.)

my pullets are squatting!!!! we moved them today to another lot and when DH went to pick one of them up she squatted!! I might have eggs before too long now!!!

Putting a light in my coop to increase their "daylight" hours to 14-15 hours a day did the trick with my hens. I had eggs within 4 days of doing that. And it doesn't need to be a bright light, I just use a little 40-watt bulb.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom