1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why havent my roosters started crowing 25wks old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Dec 16, 2009.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i got them the third week in june...3 bantam barred cochin (1 roo) 2 std white cochin hen and 2 khaki campbell duck and 5 extra males for warm (haha got 2 females in there)RIR, kept one roo, sold the other BUT neither one of the roos have crowed [​IMG] !! iM beginning to worry [​IMG] ...is there something wrong with them [​IMG] ,they look,eat,act alright [​IMG] . what could have caused this. !!OMG!! CAN THEY EVEN FERTILIZE MY GIRLS [​IMG] !!! GASP!! oh, btw the hens havent layed either but im guessing that due to me getting them late and there not being enough light now OH btw again im in southern california

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I wouldn't worry about it. They'll crow when they crow. [​IMG]

3. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    It's because they're cochins! I have 60+ cochins, most of which I got in June. No eggs from them yet and no crowing (these are all standard). I have two blue cockerels from a may hatch and not crowing. I do, however, have one bantam who started crowing within the last month. He was bought at Easter. As far as layin' goes, I have some older cochins who lay, but I'm not sure their age because I bought them when they were already laying. But, I have read a lot that most cochins won't even start laying until anywhere from 7-10 months old. It's cold here right now, so I don't expect eggs until spring. Just be patient- thats what I'm trying to do (even though I look every day for eggs!)

4. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    count your blessings!!!!![​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:You took the words right out of my mouth!

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:You took the words right out of my mouth!

Yeah it's 12:40 right now and I just heard Ol' Foghorn let out one of his nightly hollers that'll 'bout wake the dead. So don't worry its a comming. I've got a BR roo that just made 8 mos. old and just started crowing last week but he's been doing his rooster thing for about 3 months now and does quite a good job it if he can get the girls persueded to come around the backside of the shed or any other inconspicuious spot so he doesn't get caught by the man and get a first class thrashing for stealing his goodies from him.

catdaddy

7. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    [​IMG] YAAY ONE CROWED TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME [​IMG] im pretty sure the RIR [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by