Why havent my roosters started crowing 25wks old

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
i got them the third week in june...3 bantam barred cochin (1 roo) 2 std white cochin hen and 2 khaki campbell duck and 5 extra males for warm (haha got 2 females in there)RIR, kept one roo, sold the other BUT neither one of the roos have crowed
idunno.gif
!! iM beginning to worry
hu.gif
...is there something wrong with them
idunno.gif
,they look,eat,act alright
idunno.gif
. what could have caused this. !!OMG!! CAN THEY EVEN FERTILIZE MY GIRLS
rant.gif
!!! GASP!! oh, btw the hens havent layed either but im guessing that due to me getting them late and there not being enough light now OH btw again im in southern california

Last edited:
It's because they're cochins! I have 60+ cochins, most of which I got in June. No eggs from them yet and no crowing (these are all standard). I have two blue cockerels from a may hatch and not crowing. I do, however, have one bantam who started crowing within the last month. He was bought at Easter. As far as layin' goes, I have some older cochins who lay, but I'm not sure their age because I bought them when they were already laying. But, I have read a lot that most cochins won't even start laying until anywhere from 7-10 months old. It's cold here right now, so I don't expect eggs until spring. Just be patient- thats what I'm trying to do (even though I look every day for eggs!)

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Yeah it's 12:40 right now and I just heard Ol' Foghorn let out one of his nightly hollers that'll 'bout wake the dead. So don't worry its a comming. I've got a BR roo that just made 8 mos. old and just started crowing last week but he's been doing his rooster thing for about 3 months now and does quite a good job it if he can get the girls persueded to come around the backside of the shed or any other inconspicuious spot so he doesn't get caught by the man and get a first class thrashing for stealing his goodies from him.

catdaddy

Back
Top Bottom