My rooster(s) all have stopped crowing!!!

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Not sure, but even the hens have all but stopped laying and the other day I thought about it and realized roos not crowing either. Geesh, wonder what's up, should we worry, what to do?

We just got last batch of chicks for this year and whatever is ailing my gals and guys I surely don't want it affecting the new bunch. For now they are in the brooder, but I hope to figure things out before it's time for them to go out into the coop.\

Oh, and yes we have looked for hidden nests (not saying their ain't any, but we could not find anything over the months this has been going on). They do not seem to be moulting (assuming that is evidenced by loose feathers all about. As in lots of them).

Several months ago a hawk got into their hoop coop, hubbs was there, took care of Mr. Hawk before it touched any of our chickens, but I know that must have scared the bejesus out of them. I often wonder is that why/when they stopped laying and roos crowing. We get 1-2 eggs daily for months now for a whole heapa buncha hens.

Constructive comments appreciated.

It could be a weather change, there could be another predator somewhere. Even mice can cause this, or just them stressed. I have a few of mine that have stopped laying these last few weeks. But I think mine are going to be molting soon. They are just about that age.

How old are your chickens? Do you have any pictures of them? There can be a number of reasons for chickens to stop laying eggs, or for roosters to stop crowing. As much info as you can include can be helpful. This is the time of year that many spring chickens about 18 month old chickens can start molting, and then yearly thereafter. Just for your information, it is illegal to shoot or harm a bird of prey, including hawks, owls, or turkey buzzards. That has been the law for a hundred years, and may include a huge fine and months in prison. Most of us in the country tolerate the hawks and buzzards, but will occasionally lose a bird to them because we want out chickens to enjoy free ranging. What do you feed? Have you ever seen any sneezing or other symptoms from your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom