Why hello there!

Tigerfeet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Iowa
I started with a garden last year.

I lost the potatoes to gigantic white grubs underground, the broccoli was rendered inedible by numerous green worms (and I compounded the problem by freezing them), the grasshoppers got the corn, the carrots exploded because of the floods, and I accidentally weeded out all my chives (really, they looked just like grass!)

This year, I'm thinking of hiring some ladies to come and pick bugs for me. I hear they work for scratch and will even make me breakfast on the job!

Allrighty, enough with the jokes
wink.png
I really am thinking about chickens though, and here's some of the things I'm thinking about:

My yard is mid-large, I want to build a tractor for a coop so I can move them often. (I have no fence)

No roosters. I live in town and value my sleepy-time and quiet-time way too much to put up with incessant cok-a-doodle-doo-ing.

I've already decided (probably foolishly) that I want to raise Dominique chickens. They're part of the Ark of Taste, rather rare, said to do very well in ultra-cold climates and put up with both free-range and coop-style environments. Plus the idea of raising a breed of chicken that's somewhat endangered sounds really neat.

There's a place in Iowa that sells Dominiques! *yay*

I have to buy day-old chicks in batches of 25 *boo*

I really only want 2-3 chickens

So... long story slightly less long, hello everyone!

welcome-byc.gif

You've come to the right place to get all your questions answered about raising chickens. This is a really addictive, supportive community; glad to have you here!

It sounds like you've done your homework, so to speak, which is always a smart thing to do when you're getting ready to raise a new animal.

Have you thought about ordering from mypetchicken.com? They have a low order requirement -- you can order as few as three at a time. They sell Dominiques. http://www.mypetchicken.com/Day_Old_Baby_Chicks-Baby_Chicks___Available_Breeds_for_2009-P212.aspx

Another
option is to find a breeder in your area that works with Dominiques. If you buy from a breeder, you're more likely to get birds that meet the breed standard; it seems like preservation of a breed interests you, and if that is the case, a breeders' birds are better than a hatchery's birds.

Quote:
Well, where in Iowa are you? I'll have some Dominique x Barred Rocks that I will give you to get started
smile.png
They don't fit my master "plan" for my flock, but are lovely, healthy 3- week old babies.
When did you plan to set them out?? I have not sexed them yet, have to wait until the combs begin to grow... I am in North Central nebraska, but will meet ya at Omaha if you want?? Gives me an excuse to shop
By the way:
welcome-byc.gif

Yay Chicken Lady! I didn't know that site existed, I'll have to poke around there and see what I can see!

Laskaland - I'm in central Iowa, right between Iowa City & Des Moines. I'm afraid I have no idea when or if I'll actually be getting chickens. We might loose our house in Febuary so I really have no idea what's going on in the summer. If we DO get to stay where we are then it's a question of when I can build a coop for them.

I wouldn't trust having chickens inside, we have three cats and nowhere really we could sequester chicks without either the cats getting in or lacking severely for ventilation.

I'm still really nervous about wintering chickens here too. I grew up in central Illinois where 10 was an extremely cold night, here my mind is still reeling from the negative 20 temperatures I was seeing last winter and the one before.

I really appreciate the offer, but I have no idea right now, I'm still thinking about it. Taking in an animal is a big responsibility (even if it's one that can be killed and eaten) and one that I want to make sure I'm absolutely prepared and ready for. The only thing that suffered when I let my garden go was the curb appeal
wink.png

Quote:
We had some Dominiques (we call 'em Domineckers here in the south
wink.png
). We had one Dominique and 2 barred rock - and both were such good laying hens.

Good luck on your first venture in chickens!!

We have a great garden each year - but it's all about soil preparation and can take more than a year to prepare for the coming year (if it's your first time at planting in that area). Compost, compost, compost. If you lost some of the crop to grubs that's probably because the ground was dormand and they were produced there the previous year. As for other worms attacking your plants, use a mixture of 1 gallon water, 1 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1 tablespoon of mouthwash (yes mouthwash - the mint kind does the best) and 1 tablespoon of chaw (chewing tobacco). This makes the worms regergitate and pretty much not want to be on the plants. It's hard work but in the long run is better than man made pesticides!!!

Good luck!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I thought about chickens in the garden for pest control, and tried it twice. Not a happy adventure- they ate EVERYTHING GREEN!
barnie.gif
somad.gif

welcome-byc.gif

broccoli was rendered inedible by numerous green worms

Early summer I had green worms on my broccoli and cabbage. I put a circle of cedar wood shaving around each plant and the worms were gone overnight. Every two weeks or so I'd add some new shavings and the worms never returned.​

Back
Top Bottom