Why I am Vegan

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by xke4, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Anyone not wishing to watch a disturbing video on the meat industry should NOT watch this.
    ***Video link removed***

2. No discussions about animal rights organizations or Cock fighting

Any links to animal activist videos will be removed in the spirit of Rule #2.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I am a vegetarian for several reasons. I abhor the factory system of raising and harvesting animals. I believe it is cruel and amoral. I have serious issues with genetically modified crops and other foods. I believe they are very unhealthy, and don't much resemble the food substance they started out as. The animals, which are not biologically supposed to eat these grains, are eating them. The meat obtained from these animals is NOT the same as the meat that was obtained from them before the advent of factory farming. People, while we certainly are physiologically capable of eating meat, should not be eating nearly as much as they do today. The thought of overfeeding these animals on these substances, along with 70% of the antibiotics produced, is frightening. We do eat eggs, but only the ones from our backyard or other people we know that take good care of their chickens. We grow a lot of our fresh vegetables. Eating locally grown, organic foods are the best ways to stick it to the large food and GMO seed corporations that are spreading their flawed products around the world. I have MS. Since starting on a plant based diet, my symptoms are negligible at worst. I went from 87 lesions on my brain on my last MRI to 34 now. I've only had 2 relapses in the past year. My mother had high blood pressure and hypertension, now gone. Her fiance (lives with us) has completely reversed his diabetes. My younger son who has dyslexia has even improved. My older son can tell a huge difference in his energy level and sports performance. We just don't know what these super processed foods are doing to us, and our government and the food corporations don't care. And I am thrilled that the Sea Shepherds drove the Japanese whalers back to Japan!

3. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    It's amazing, isn't it, how much better one feels . Have you heard about the movie Forks over Knives? Due to come out soon. Have a look at it....supports the case for plant based foods eliminating many diseases. And GO SEA SHEPHERD!!!

4. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    Thanks Speckled Hen. I was about to ask to have it removed but only for the reason that I was reminded that minors view these threads. Sad that everyone doesn't have all the info available on this subject but I do realize it is not up to me to educate other peoples' children.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We appreciate you being so understanding about that. [​IMG]

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I actually first learned a lot about changing to a plant based diet from my neurologist. He has been treating MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and other neurological patients for 36 yrs. He studied nutruition at the Mayo Clinic after practicing for 20 yrs. Surprisingly, nutrition is not touched on very long or thoroughly in medical school. He has seen a lot of improvement in many of his patients changing to a plant based organic diet. He's the one who clued me in on the questionable nature of GM foods, and the more I studied the subject, the more I realized that most of the food being sold in a conventional grocery store have GM grain products in them. Everything is made from GM corn and GM soy. The proteins in these foods are different on a molecular level, and we just don't know how they affect human health. I took all of this diet change with a grain of salt, and it was REALLY hard to change, so everyone else in my household did it too. It's very scary to me to know how much better we all are now, and know that the food we were eating had everything to do with it. It makes me worried for the rest of the world, as the giant seed corporations are slowly taking over major staple crops all over the world, and no one seems to really care. It takes choice away from us, and I want choices! I want labeling to be mandatory so I can avoid what I don't want. It is not required to have GM products labeled as such at the present time.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I am also vegetarian- I will get to my reasons later when I have time to type it all.

Please PM the video to me, if you will. The time I found undercover slaughterhouse footage I put down my plate (literally) and haven't touched meat since.

I respect everyones' views of what animals are for, though.

1 person likes this.
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My response is a rather knee-jerk one.

I would never even think of trying to force/convince anyone of my beliefs or morals on anything. Especiallly on a chicken forum.

9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2. I try to be as self sustainable as possible but darn you've got to love a delicious salty roast chicken.... [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I too abhor the GMO foods that are sprouting up all around us. However I am about as far from a vegetarian as one can get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by