Why?! I can’t lose another chick

May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
C9955101-C25D-45F9-91F9-D10C89ABDA03.jpeg B9DF4D48-48CC-4E8E-AB36-C787633DBED6.jpeg https://youtu.be/uUJvRdY4Nuo
I just noticed today how thin she is. She isn’t eating so I force feed her. She started out dazed, then turned to falling over, to not being able to lift her head. She is a golden comet, almost 3 weeks old, indoor brooder at night, outside play yard weather permitting. First week and a half she had medicated starter, now she is on regular starter. She is in a group of 7 other almost 3 week old chicks from a hatchery and 3 4 week old chicks from orschlend’s. Her crop was empty and she won’t eat so I force feed her.

EBC653BE-5D17-4977-9392-47E3D26985DA.jpeg

I would get Corid as soon as possible and treat for possible coccidiosis. Do you have any NutriDrench or SaveAChick electrolytes that you can give right away? Drip some into it’s beak. When you get Corid, stop the vitamins while on Corid. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all chicks at once. Give him 2 drops of the undiluted Corid twice a day for several days. Chicks at 3 weeks need temperatures at about 80 degrees F round the clock, decreasing 5 degrees per week.

I would get Corid as soon as possible and treat for possible coccidiosis. Do you have any NutriDrench or SaveAChick electrolytes that you can give right away? Drip some into it’s beak. When you get Corid, stop the vitamins while on Corid. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all chicks at once. Give him 2 drops of the undiluted Corid twice a day for several days. Chicks at 3 weeks need temperatures at about 80 degrees F round the clock, decreasing 5 degrees per week.
I get so much mixed information on temp. She is separated with the heat plate. I am out of save-a-chick. I’ll get both first thing in the morning. Every thing is closed.

Can you give her water? Do you have Gatorade or Pedialyte in the house? You can make some emergency electrolytes with a cup of water, 1/4 tsp of sugar, and just a tiny pinch of salt mixed well. Dip her beak in a scoop of water and let her drink it.

Can you give her water? Do you have Gatorade or Pedialyte in the house? You can make some emergency electrolytes with a cup of water, 1/4 tsp of sugar, and just a tiny pinch of salt mixed well. Dip her beak in a scoop of water and let her drink it.
I forced some watered down food into her. It only seemed to get worse. I’ll make up some Gatorade

Done! I had to give her drops through a dropper but her crop felt full. She passed out. I just hope she makes it to the morning

Back
Top Bottom