Why I got chickens!

Great reasons!! And I must say I agree with all of the above...

My additional reason, was to teach my boys some responsibility!! My 8 yo was still a bit young to help with much else around here, but he's really surprised me with his care and attention to the birds! Also have a 13 and 15 yo that are getting pretty handy at putting up fences, and building bird related structures!! :D

So sorry to hear of your and your husband's illnesses! Best wishes for speedy recoveries!

Me? Ticks, too! I moved here to MO about 10 years ago, having lived the first 50+ years of my life in the Great American Southwest - with (practically) nary a tick in sight, unless I went camping, and even then, precious few. When I got here and learned that ticks are a fact of life, I had two options: run back to where I'd come from, or .... get chickens. Had guineas once before, wasn't going that route (sorry, keet lovers!). So chickens it was! And still is. They do the job just fine if we keep the population up at a proper level, and let them free range at least part of the day. We have a good dog, so we haven't lost one to coyotes in years. We have brown, white and blue/green egg layers and love 'em all!

Great reasons!! And I must say I agree with all of the above...

My additional reason, was to teach my boys some responsibility!! My 8 yo was still a bit young to help with much else around here, but he's really surprised me with his care and attention to the birds! Also have a 13 and 15 yo that are getting pretty handy at putting up fences, and building bird related structures!! :D
Both my son's were raised with chickens from childhood. It touches me now as a mom to see how gentle they are with our fowl.My oldest is now 27.I think it is a wonderful message to pass down.

I got my chickens because I used to have horse back riding lessons with a friend and she had barred rocks, Rhode Island Reds , and two leghorns. I begged my dad to get me some and finally he said yes. we went there the next day and got one of each and I was so fascinated with those birds I got up at five and sat out in the coop in my pj's watching them.

Honestly, I didn't get chickens. Rather they got me. from feed store to feed store I found every kind of chick who showed interest in me. I already had knowledge of what was expected of me. thanks to all you beautiful people on Backyard Chickens!
Now I'm HOOKED ON CHOOKS! And my hens are having chicks of their own.
Every chicken in my flock know's me as daddy! And I tell them, that they are famous world wide, online.

Back
Top Bottom