Why I need to spay/neuter cats

I've been on the same mission as you Frosty for several years. Every barn cat I can catch goes in to be fixed. Part of my problem is that so many of them are wilder than the dickens......plus people keep dumping at least a couple off here every year.....usually pregnant.

bow.gif

Quote:
that is great!!!
bow.gif
good job!!!!!

I admire you, Frosty! I have taken litters of puppies (usually 8) in for shots, along with 3 small children, so I know how difficult it can be with that many animals! I have the opposite problem-our cats disappear! We have had 8 cats in the last 6 years, mostly males, but we are currently cat-less again!
roll.png

Awww... that was a really special story! Hugs to you and Spook... and I agree that the kittens are disgustingly cute!

My kids are all VERY tame, so no issues catching them. Went out and carried them into the house one at a time, wrote down names, color, sex, and even weighed them and wrote that down too. My scale is legal for trade, so pretty accurate. The techs looked at all of the information (I emailed it in advance) and said they needed to hire me
gig.gif
11 of them came home tonight (cats, not vet techs), 4 of the girls are still there to be picked up tomorrow afternoon. And that's when I get the bill
hide.gif
Apparently 3 of the 4 girls from the barn were already working on adding to the population, the other 2 had late fall litters and were kept in for the winter to keep them away from the boys. Now to rehome those kittens... At least if I end up doing a spay/neuter on them there is only 6 and only 1 is a girl. The only reason I am doing the boys is to keep them home and tone down the fights. I don't see it as a step to stopping the flow because plenty of other folks here have cats and there is no shortage of toms.

So the ones that came home today get to spend a nice warm night in DDs room (she is gone to college so I can put cats, chicks, etc... in there to my hearts content
lol.png
)

Quote:
Puppies, no problem... herding 3 small children?
th.gif
Need some cats?
lau.gif
Took in 15 barn cats today, had 4 already fixed, plus have 8 cats in the house (all but one are supposed to be barn cats, but somehow took up residence in the house). I'll even make it one of the fixed cats (or 2 or 3 or 4...)
cool.png

Our semi-ferals are pretty flighty about being trapped. So the fact that we trapped 7 of them to get shots to go to TSC was pretty good. Spooks leads that gang, so they aren't too evil to handle, but they are scared.

Yeah, the blonde kitty is really close to having her litter by my uneducated guess, but she's not HUGE, so I think she will be polite and have a nice reasonable litter. Bribed her inside this morning with some nice, disgusting canned fish cat food. So she is now set up in the guest bedroom so at least she has ONE litter and then is spayed.

Um, yeah, that's why we have kitties inside. Started with the blue point who lost a fight with a trap, and had a long rehab - but figured the cat who'd lived thru the trap and made it to our place deserved someone who'd help him - and then couldn't put him back outside. Then the black girl who just showed up and is such a little baby that she'd sit outside in the lovely fall weather - pleasant temps, no pouring rain, everything was GREAT - and bawl to be let inside out of the icky outside. Then the little tortie girl last year who strolled inside one day as I was going outside, and well, despite repeat attempts to keep her outside, she's now inside.

Then the little tortie girl last year who strolled inside one day as I was going outside, and well, despite repeat attempts to keep her outside, she's now inside.

Oh, how I can identify with that!
lau.gif
I brought a kitten in to treat for respiratory problems. I put her on amoxi for 2 weeks, when I went to put her back out she hissed at her mom and siblings, then ran back into the house. And she is still in here. Do we have 'sucker' tattooed on our foreheads?

Got the vet bill when I went to pick up the last four girls. I guess they did the last one this morning, and it turns out all four girls that were out in the barn were working on adding to the population. An extra $30 each for that... Total: $1245
th.gif
Actually, I expected worse since I added on the rabies shots. The vet told me that I should talk to the shelter to see if they would help with the cost. I am not rich, but I did have the money to do this (tax refund helped
lol.png
). While I would love to be reimbursed for some of it, isn't there a possibility that it would be taking money from somebody who might need it more than I do? What if they have to turn somebody away that needs help for a spay/neuter and the person turned away can't do it then?

Oh, the relief to be done with it!!! Now I just need good weather to put them back out side... Stupid blizzard. DD moved out and they are all in her old room. There are cats on every horizontal surface in the room (including above the mirror on the dresser), the curtain is now hanging by one hook
ep.gif
and they all just blink sleepily when I walk in to check on them. Food, water, a cat box, and a nice bed. They are loving it!​

Last edited:
MomtoSyd&Emma :

there is a program going on right now that will neuter outdoor male cats for only FIVE DOLLARS can you believe that? They do require that they be ear tipped and a rabies given for only $5 more! So for $10 you get a rabies, and neuter!!! I am so proud of that program!

My aunt did that and it was worth it. Had to take them to Springfield and her postmistress took and brought them back to her and they are doing just fine.​

Quote:
You may not be rich but you are AWESOME for making sure that they were all done. People just don't realize how quickly cats multiply. Plus they are much healthier and live longer when spayed and neutered!

My first cat got preggers before I could get her fixed. I took responsiblity for it. I still have one of the "kittens", she turned 18 yesterday, lol

Quote:
Oh, how I can identify with that!
lau.gif
I brought a kitten in to treat for respiratory problems. I put her on amoxi for 2 weeks, when I went to put her back out she hissed at her mom and siblings, then ran back into the house. And she is still in here. Do we have 'sucker' tattooed on our foreheads?

Umm, is that what it says??? That we've got 13 week old chooks and 4 guineas from the shelter today.....

Ouch on the vet bill, but not too bad for 15 kitties and 4 of 'em preggers.

Back
Top Bottom