Why if my HEN CROWING?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantyChickMom, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have a brown red OE pullet about 7 months old. She has layed well from about 16 weeks, and has even gone broody and successfully hatched the one egg she sat on.
    Yesterday I went out (as always) before taking kids to school and heard a new crow. I thought it was my black tail red OE who is about 4 months. My son went out with me this morning for the chance to hear a new crow. Were we surprised to see the OE pullet doing the crowing!!!!
    She is with a roo, and there are several more roos around in different pens who are crowing. I know hens in a roosterless flock will sometimes crow and take a dominant role, but why is mine crowing???

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I have no idea, so we'll move this up a little...

That must've been quite a shock!!

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I sometimes wonder this myself. My EE hen, Fussy, one morning crowed when the sun was coming up. It was the one and only time she ever did it. I don't have any roo's but she doesnt really act dominant over the other hen, so I was puzzled. I think she was just feeling frisky, it was a gorgeous morning and she was young and happy to be alive, methinks? [​IMG]

Jill

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Is your OE hen still laying eggs?
    If not, she might've gotten an infection in her ovary and it's stopped producing female hormones.

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    SpottedCrow,
    she has just hatched the one egg she sat on.
    the chick will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.
    As soon as I saw the chick, I removed it and put it with another loner chick that hatched about 10 days earlier.
    After setting for 3 weeks, I figured it would take longer than 2 weeks for her to start back laying.
    But, up until she went broody, I got 4 sometimes 5 eggs every week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by