Why is chicken scratch more expensive than chicken feed?

Our upright freezer out in the garage just died a few weeks ago. So, I had to move everything to a backup chest freezer down in the basement.

Our kitchen fridge/freezer just died too! New one comes Tuesday. I had to move the fridge stuff down to our “egg fridge” in the basement.

Thankfully this happened in the winter, when egg production is lower. In summer we fill the egg fridge to the gills every week! :lol:

Our kitchen fridge/freezer just died too! New one comes Tuesday. I had to move the fridge stuff down to our “egg fridge” in the basement.

Thankfully this happened in the winter, when egg production is lower. In summer we fill the egg fridge to the gills every week! :lol:
My parent's freezer died dramatically not too long ago. Apparently water went everywhere! They had to buy a whole new freezer. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if they had to toss eggs with the bad meat!

My parent's freezer died dramatically not too long ago. Apparently water went everywhere! They had to buy a whole new freezer. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if they had to toss eggs with the bad meat!
Thankfully, as soon as it started misbehaving, we stopped shopping so we didn’t lose much.

And thankfully when you have chickens, food waste isn’t ever really wasted.

Thankfully, as soon as it started misbehaving, we stopped shopping so we didn’t lose much.

And thankfully when you have chickens, food waste isn’t ever really wasted.

My unheated attached garage is sitting right around 22F, so even though the garage freezer died, I was in no panic to move the food stuff. In fact, when we did move the food to the backup chest freezer in the basement, we just kept some of the food out and put it in a cooler outside on our deck off the kitchen.

Grandma used her front porch as an auxiliary refrigerator in the winter. I figured we could use our deck and a cooler as our auxillary freezer for a short while.

Chest freezers let less cold air escape when you open them, and draw in less moisture. They tend to produce less freezer burn. They are also hella inconvenient to get stuff off the bottom, where it goes to be forgotten.
I wanted a chest freezer for its efficiency. DH hates it for the difficulty to find stuff.

We will have a real cold spell this week. I plan to empty everything into tubs and put them outside. Then defrost and repack the freezer more ... user friendily. I bet I find some goodies when I do.

I wanted a chest freezer for its efficiency. DH hates it for the difficulty to find stuff.

Same here only other way around. Dear Wife wanted the upright freezer so it was easier for her to find stuff. Guess who got her way on that? Oh well, keep the wife happy and just go along for the ride. She does most of the cooking, so it's not a big deal to me.

Glad I keep our chest freezer as a backup. But we will be replacing our garage upright freezer with another upright freezer this spring/summer.

We will have a real cold spell this week. I plan to empty everything into tubs and put them outside. Then defrost and repack the freezer more ... user friendily. I bet I find some goodies when I do.

Sounds like a good plan. Every time we defrost our freezer, we find hidden gems.

I think freezers are a great way to buy meat on sale and save some money. But how long does meat last in a freezer before it gets freezer burn? I heard somewhere that you should rotate your freezer meat so that it is used up within 6 months. Does it depend on the type of freezer you have - that is, frost free versus regular freezer? Don't really know. But we have taken out some meat that had freezer burn and that was not good.

BTW, I think it's a good idea to put a label on freezer products along with the date. So far, I have been able to convince myself but Dear Wife is taking a little longer to get on board with that idea.
My locker wrapped beef lasts years. Most of it is double wrapped so no freezer burns. But chicken burns faster and I think pork changes flavor after 6 months . I do can beef, chicken breasts, and tried pulled pork. I also made canned meatloaf that wasn't bad ( the texture is crumbly but flavor was good.)

I think freezers are a great way to buy meat on sale and save some money. But how long does meat last in a freezer before it gets freezer burn? I heard somewhere that you should rotate your freezer meat so that it is used up within 6 months. Does it depend on the type of freezer you have - that is, frost free versus regular freezer? Don't really know. But we have taken out some meat that had freezer burn and that was not good.

BTW, I think it's a good idea to put a label on freezer products along with the date. So far, I have been able to convince myself but Dear Wife is taking a little longer to get on board with that idea.
Frost free does burn more than frost free. IMO

Back
Top Bottom