1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is citrus bad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by earthnut, Dec 19, 2007.

1. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Not that my hens seem to like citrus anyway, but I read that it was unhealthy for them. What does it do?

2. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Wow! I didn't know it was UN-healthy for them. What I DID hear is that it affects the taste of eggs. The citrus is a bit pungent or some such? [​IMG]

but, what do I know? [​IMG]

I am curious to hear from others how it is unhealthy for them though... [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Earthnut, do you remember where you read that? This topic comes up once in awhile and I've never been able to track down who is saying that. Citrus has been fed to chickens and parrots for a long time, without problems. Like anything else, if you feed them nothing but that or huge amounts, I can see where it would be a problem, but as a part of a balanced diet, it's fine.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do not believe it's bad; I just don't think most chickens like citrus all that well.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    A neighbor feeds his chickens grape-fruit about once a week. He just cuts it in half and puts it on the ground and next thing you know, only the peel is left. I cut a watermelon up last summer and man did they have a ball ! And before someone says it, "I know watermelon is not citrus" (LOL)

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My chickens love oranges! Hope it's not bad for them. I cut them in half and put it in a suet cage and hang it in the coop. Just looking for ways to give them treats during the winter. Eggs seem fine.[​IMG]

7. Kimblee

Kimblee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    My bunch (14 hens, two roosters, primarily Americaunas, but two young "turken" hens and a black French hen of some sort) go absolutely nuts over navel oranges, so I give 'em a dozen, cut up, once or twice a month.

Haven't tried any other citrus fruits on 'em.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, then, that blows the info I had on them not liking citrus! Good to know, however, I rarely have any citrus to give them. I'll try it when I do.

9. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    My hens loved the orange sections that came with my take out chinese food.

I think the treat guide he on BYC states cirtus is bad? Unless it has changed? I still feed it.

My chickens have access to my compost pile, so they get anything they want that goes in there. I have even seen one sampling some coffee grounds once.[​IMG]

10. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I read in a different post before that the Meyer Hatchery catalog states not to feed fruit to laying hens or they'll stop producing. I've never ordered from them, nor have I ever seen their catalog, but perhaps this is the source (or one of the sources) of misinformation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by