Why is citrus bad for chickens?

I aked the same question a while back, b/c I think it might be on Buff's snack chart as not to feed. The response was that it was not bad for then, but could make their poo runny. So I guess it would be ok to feed in moderation. My chickens love grapefruit also.
big_smile.png

Last year, we would pick up the compost from a coffee house once a week - thinking the chickens would enjoy rummaging through the day's greens and such. It was mostly coffee grounds and oranges from breakfast. The chickens DID NOT like the citrus in the mix. As a result, we opted out when given the choice this year.

Whew! Like I said, "what do I know?" LOL! I had read that somewhere but I couldn't cite the source.
roll.png

Now, I know to give orange/grapefruit to my chicken and it's OK!
wink.png

Peace=

Pedro
cool.png

chickens will eat coffee grounds?!

i have never tried that before. i know my goats love ice tea (the tannin from the tea?)

i always give my goats the citrus. i will toss out a piece and see how the chcikens do with it. and a little bit of coffee grounds, too.

oh, only fill mine half way, bossy chicken will say, it'll keep me up all night.

I have one chicken (my silly Fussy) that LOVES grapefruit. Whenever I am eating it in the kitchen, she gets excited and starts chattering up a storm.
Of course, she has convinced Red it is good eatin, so now I have to put BOTH of my rinds in together or there is an argument!

My little girls (Lily and Dash) are peculiar. They dont like hardly ANYTHING! Dash will only eat grapes and blueberries for treats, and they LOVE the chicken food. Lily likes cheerios, but Dash doesnt understand WHY! Hates em! So I have to sneak her the blueberries while Lily is snarfing her cheerios or she snarfs the berries too.

Poor Dash. They are like Felix and Oscar. Lily is a slob and lil Dash delicate and likes to be clean. Is always "scolding" Lily when she makes a mess.
lau.gif
Lily scolds "us" when we make too much noise!
gig.gif
The icemaker is really something we shouldnt use, she says. Disturbs her no end!

Back
Top Bottom