Why is did my hen suddenly become mean

when I've had previously nice chickens turn nasty, it transpired with hindsight that there was something wrong with them, and they may have been lashing out in pain. Have you checked her over and just stood and watched carefully to see if anything's amiss (besides her temper)?

when I've had previously nice chickens turn nasty, it transpired with hindsight that there was something wrong with them, and they may have been lashing out in pain. Have you checked her over and just stood and watched carefully to see if anything's amiss (besides her temper)?
She seems normal,she eats,drinks and lays eggs. She doesn’t limp or have lice or mites.
I will go and make a thorough check on her tonight😊

I have a 1 year old hen who in the last week mabye has been acting mean, first she started buffing up her whole body when she saw the chickens that we keep in another pen, she has never noticed them before.
I thought that was okay normal since she might just wanted to let them know that she is the boss.

If we fast forward she has now started to buff up over anything,when she is laying in the nesting box,when I come into the coop or when she sees another chicken.
When she puffs up she also growls, I have also noticed that she does that sound when I have food.

She is almost at the top of the pecking order, the rooster is on top and then her and her bff share the second spot, she has also always been kinda mean towards new hens but this is another level of mean
She isn’t pecking or attacking just buffing herself up and growling.
Why is she like that now?
Sounds like she is trying to go broody. We had a barred rock that did that as well and she ended up hatching out two babies.

Back
Top Bottom