Why is it ALWAYS 3?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No matter what...I NEVER seem to hatch more than 3 this year! I blame it on the incubator ENTIRELY!

It's not just one breed of eggs either! It's ALL of my eggs! Mutts, pures, shipped....

No matter how many eggs I put into the incubator, I wind up with 3 chicks (or less).

The eggs go according to "sets". If I have one set due to hatch on one day, that "set" will have 3 eggs or less hatch. If I put a large amount of eggs in, there are still 3 or less eggs that hatch.

I'm talking...I put 40+ eggs in the incubator, got 3 to hatch. I put 4 eggs into the incubator, got 3 to hatch. I put 5 eggs in, got 3...you get the picture.

Why on EARTH is this happening? I'm thinking I should play the lotto...

ETA: This next batch is due to hatch on my birthday. I put 7 in. One was infertile, 2 died in incubation already and one is starting to die. Which leaves me with...yep...3.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Story of my life.

I've done two hatches.

Both times had a full bator *41 eggs. Both times 12 chicks.

First time 5 roos 7 pullets
    2nd time 4 roos 8 pullets

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Same here..i'm lucky if i get 1-2 to hatch.. [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Could 3 be your lucky number? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    it could have do to with britneys new single, 3 lol

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Wow, I thought I was the only one having bad hatches! Hmmm... There has to be a really good explanation that we're having sorry hatches [​IMG]

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

should try another bator, homemade one perhaps. not all bought are best. [​IMG]

8. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I put 42 eggs in to hatch and got 1 once. That was the batch of eggs though. I thought they looked a little weird when candling, but I bought 11 eggs into the final lock down after discarding the rest. 1 hatched. 10 exploded.

What kind of incubator are you using?

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

wew, 10 exploded? maybe the situation in the bator just like when atomic bomb hit a city. [​IMG]

10. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It was horrible, but totally my fault. After only 1 had hatched, I left the eggs in. They say hope springs eternal. After day 25, I knew they weren't going to hatch, but I was short on time so I just left them.

In the end, the mess took longer to clean up than the eggs would have taken to throw out. And the smell...I wanted to pitch a tent in the back yard and live there for a couple days until it cleared out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by