Why is it bad for chickens to sleep in nesting boxes?

Do they lay eggs in the lower nesting boxes? Would it be possible to eliminate these and put in a roost at the lower level?
I personally am always worried about flystrike, it can happen so fast if the chickens have dirty feathers and the thought of the maggots can cause nightmares and fears.
No, all the eggs are played in the upper boxes. I can get pics so you can see my set up. I ma going to put them in now, so I can get some pics of the sleeping situation if that would help!

No, all the eggs are played in the upper boxes. I can get pics so you can see my set up. I ma going to put them in now, so I can get some pics of the sleeping situation if that would help!
That sounds great! That may help others come up with some ideas too. Especially if a solution isn't a lot of work. And the solution may be to leave them as is since they seem to not poop in those boxes as much.

Plain English: Chickens poop when they sleep, they poop a lot when they sleep. In addition to sleeping in their own poop, they then lay their eggs in the poop. Eggs are porous. Their poop gets into those pores, requiring at least a 'quick' bath to cleanse them. Washing eggs removes the protective 'bloom'. This removal opens the door to bad bacteria to enter the egg, causing death or disease to the chick if you should attempt incubation, and possible illness to any that would eat the egg.

Best to break them of this habit as soon as possible.

Plain English: Chickens poop when they sleep, they poop a lot when they sleep. In addition to sleeping in their own poop, they then lay their eggs in the poop. Eggs are porous. Their poop gets into those pores, requiring at least a 'quick' bath to cleanse them. Washing eggs removes the protective 'bloom'. This removal opens the door to bad bacteria to enter the egg, causing death or disease to the chick if you should attempt incubation, and possible illness to any that would eat the egg.

Best to break them of this habit as soon as possible.
They don't sleep, where they lay eggs. They sleep in the lower nesting boxes, were they don't lay eggs, they lay in the upper nest boxes. I am mostly wondering if it okay to let them sleep in boxes. Maybe I shouldn't refer to them a nesting boxes, since they don't lay in the ones I am talking about. Hater more like boxes with bedding, that I am wondering gif they can sleep in. Pictures in a second

I see no pictures yet.
You asked "why is it bad for chickens to sleep in the nesting boxes?"
People are trying to tell you and you keep responding with your reasons why you should allow them to continue to sleep in their nesting boxes/ sleep boxes whatever you want to call them.
So, are you asking a question or do you just want to argue?
People are trying to explain to you.
When chickens sleep, they poop A LOT.
1. If your chicken is on a roost or perch, when they poop, the poop falls away from their body. RIGHT?
2. If a chicken sleeps squatted/sitting/lying down, they poop underneath themselves during their sleep time. Right?
3. Therefore, they are literally sitting in/on their own poop the entire time they are in the boxes. RIGHT?
4. Therefore, we DO NOT think it is a sanitary or a healthy idea to allow your chickens to sleep ontop of their own poop.
5. It doesn't matter if they scratch up the poop in the morning, it doesn't matter they don’t lay eggs in those boxes.
6. What matters and is unhealthy for your chickens is to sleep/sit or rest on their own crap. Period.
7. That behavior has many long term consequences.
8. Look at it this way:
Do you think sleeping in your own poop and pee all night long is unhealthy or bad?
9. If so, why do you allow your chickens to do it?
10. That's all that people are trying to tell you.
11. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, after all, they are Your chickens.

Pictures coming now! Sorry! I got distracted in another thread!
IMG_6093.jpg
IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg
IMG_6089.jpg
IMG_6092.jpg

@cooingcrow1 what do you and the others think?

Pictures coming now! Sorry! I got distracted in another thread!
View attachment 2354079 View attachment 2354081
View attachment 2354082View attachment 2354083View attachment 2354085
@cooingcrow1 what do you and the others think?
Appears they are roaring there because there is not enough roost to go around that is higher.

Letting them sleep where they are in contact with their own poo is a bad idea. I’d move nest boxes below roosting level, and figure out how to cram 7-8’ of roost in that tight of a spot. Your coop appears to be small for 7 birds.

I see no pictures yet.
You asked "why is it bad for chickens to sleep in the nesting boxes?"
People are trying to tell you and you keep responding with your reasons why you should allow them to continue to sleep in their nesting boxes/ sleep boxes whatever you want to call them.
So, are you asking a question or do you just want to argue?
People are trying to explain to you.
When chickens sleep, they poop A LOT.
1. If your chicken is on a roost or perch, when they poop, the poop falls away from their body. RIGHT?
2. If a chicken sleeps squatted/sitting/lying down, they poop underneath themselves during their sleep time. Right?
3. Therefore, they are literally sitting in/on their own poop the entire time they are in the boxes. RIGHT?
4. Therefore, we DO NOT think it is a sanitary or a healthy idea to allow your chickens to sleep ontop of their own poop.
5. It doesn't matter if they scratch up the poop in the morning, it doesn't matter they don’t lay eggs in those boxes.
6. What matters and is unhealthy for your chickens is to sleep/sit or rest on their own crap. Period.
7. That behavior has many long term consequences.
8. Look at it this way:
Do you think sleeping in your own poop and pee all night long is unhealthy or bad?
9. If so, why do you allow your chickens to do it?
10. That's all that people are trying to tell you.
11. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, after all, they are Your chickens.
I am sorry, I dont wan to argue, I just wanted to be clear that they don't lay eggs there. Everything you said totally makes sense. I am really appreciative of this advice. I get the poop factor. Do the pictures help? I do not want to argue, and am very sorry if I came on strong. Thank you so much again! :)

I think, your chickens have have poop on their feathers in picture #3, walls, bedding and the door.
Have you noticed scabs and dark spots on their faces and combs?
Picture #3 shows they have Fowl Pox.
You need to clean everything out of your small coop, scrub it down and replace all the bedding and floor area and scrap all the poop off.
Rearrange the roosts so no one is pooping on the other. This way, your chickens can be healthier and happier.

Back
Top Bottom